CARRY ON MY WAYWARD SON

King's Landing 297 AC.

Margaery.

She hadn't taken the flowers off since she'd put them in her hair after the joust, all the way back in the carriage and now sitting in her room looking at herself in the looking glass, she still wore them. Them and a smile she'd not been able to remove from her face from the moment Jon had taken the day. She'd felt her heart in her mouth when he was unhorsed, only to see that Jaime was too and then for them to face each other with their swords.

While the crowd hadn't enjoyed the final joust, for her it was the greatest she'd ever seen and though it had taken the swordfight for the crowd to get excited, it hadn't dimmed her own. To see Jon beat Jaime and then to ride to the garland had been incredible, and she'd felt her heart race the closer he came to her. A part of her cried out in the back of her mind for him to ride past, to crown Joy or Sansa, and yet the largest part of her wished for him to do what he did.

Feeling the eyes of the crowd all on her and him had brought up her attack and the fact that it had been Jon who had saved her from it. Knowing that while there would be those outraged that he'd dare crown her, more would see it simply an extension of that. Jon being a true knight and not only rescuing a lady in distress but crowning her to help relieve that distress also. So wrapped up was she in looking at herself that Margaery didn't hear the door open or her grandmother come in.

"You two are not as careful as I'd hoped." her grandmother said admonishingly.

"What did you expect me to do grandmother, refuse them?" she replied snippily.

"No, but you cannot over celebrate getting them Margaery, not tonight at the feast. Bring them with you, wear them and dance with Jon, but just the once. You must seem like you're grateful for what he did but not that you had hoped he'd crown you." her grandmother said.

"Very well grandmother." she said with more bite than she had intended.

"Margaery." her grandmother said and she found she wasn't in the mood to be lectured.

"I said very well, I've agreed to do as you've asked, can I at least enjoy the fact that my husband crowned me, grandmother, can I at least take comfort in that?" she said and saw her grandmother nod before she hesitated and then left the room.

She hadn't meant to snap at her and she knew her grandmother was only looking out for them both but she had wished to enjoy it just a little longer. Reaching up to her head she took the garland off and placed it on the table. She then stood up and walked over to her wardrobe, looking through the dresses to pick out the one for the evening she smiled when she saw the red and black one. Margaery had never worn it and she soon found herself looking forward to the day when she could properly wear the colors of her and her husband's house.

After bathing and dressing in a green and gold dress, she made her way to Sansa's room to find her friend already dressed and laughing with Mira and Megga, Elinor soon joining them. Sansa looked at the garland in her hand and reached out to take it from her, placing it carefully in her hair she smiled at her as they turned to walk to the carriages.

Seeing Loras as they arrived at the Red Keep, Margaery was at first happy as it would be the first time she'd really had a chance to speak to her brother since he was knighted. That he'd waited outside for them did though worry her for a moment but he seemed relaxed and when he came over to them he told them that he'd been asked to meet them.