THE WOLF'S CHAMPION

Highgarden 295 AC.

Richard.

He had collected whispers from his lips and it had delayed him, so by the time he got to Highgarden he found things to be far different than he had expected. Upon hearing what had happened he had sent a note to Jaime and soon found himself a room and a place to stay. He was surprised it was Arthur who came to see him but then it was probably for the best he not be seen for now.

"You heard?" Arthur said as he walked into his room.

"What the hell happened?"

"I'd blame our reckless king but he blames himself already, not that it's his fault."

"Arthur?"

"He provoked the boy at the feast, got him to shame himself a little, no a lot."

"Why?"

"To give Stark a way out of the betrothal."

"What happened with the wolf?" he asked and Arthur chuckled.

"You'll see at the Melee, we're to have a trial by combat for a wolf, Richard." Arthur said and began to explain exactly what had happened.

"He really pulled a knife on the girl?"

"He did, gods had he harmed her, I think we'd have new king already."

"And a gutted prince, Arthur."

"That too."

"Who's he facing?" he asked.

"Blount." Arthur said and Richard laughed loudly.

"Well, it'll be quick then."

"It's to a yield, Richard."

"Quicker then."

"What of you, where've you been?"

"Around, trying to find out more about our friend Moptatis, and keeping an eye on the fishes."

"And?"

"The fishes are quiet, though I doubt for long, as for Mopatis I need to speak to Oberyn about his man."

"We were lucky he was riding yesterday, it's bad enough one reckless king without a reckless prince thrown in." Arthur said and he couldn't agree more.

"How is the king?"

"He's good, he'll wish to see you."

"Aye, I wish to see him too, I have some other news for him, some whispers from the Vale about our friend Littlefinger and some moves he's making."

"I'd better get back, it's good to see you, Richard, I'll speak to the king and arrange for you to meet."

"Thanks, Arthur."

He made his way to the tourney grounds once Arthur had left, he was looking forward to seeing his king compete and now to see a Kingsguard humbled. He was looking around them when the white wolf found him, how he did so he had no idea and it made him nervous for quite some time as it followed after him. When it grabbed his hand he almost soiled himself, but looking into its eyes something made him decide to follow it.