Chapter 15: The Devastation

"Now, where is that errant son of mine?", asked the Queen, annoyed. They were seated for dinner on the floor, a long carpet rolled out before them. Banana leaves were placed in front of them, hot food being served into it by the maids. Ilamchetchenni, who was seated beside her, hurriedly swallowed the Paniyaram in his mouth. "I swear, I have got nothing to do with this! I even warned them that you wouldn't want them late especially today!! Ask Irungovel!"

Irungovel, sitting beside Ilamchetchenni, laughed. He leaned forward and bent over, craning his neck to look at her across Ilamchetchenni. "I can assure you that, Your Grace. Ilanchezhiyan even said that he was suitably warned."

The Queen's lips thinned. "Did he now? Here I thought at least Chezhiyan would be the responsible one." One of the maids came forward, serving them Payasam in little bowls. The Queen looked at it, dismayed. "Now look. God knows when the boys will be back and the Payasam is just going to go waste."

Ilamchetchenni laughed. Upon seeing her withering look, he stopped mid-laugh. Irungovel raised his brow. "You asked for Payasam to be made? Why? What's the special occasion?"

The Queen gave him a disbelieving look. "Don't tell me that you have forgotten your own birthday!"

"Ahh", said Irungovel mildly. He shrugged nonchalantly. "You know I don't celebrate my birthdays. It's not a big deal."

The Queen shot him a look. "It is a big deal. And I know that you don't celebrate your birthdays. Hence I asked the Payasam to be made at dinner so it's just us."

Irungovel smiled at her. "Thank you."

The Queen waved him off. "Eat."

Irungovel pointed to her untouched leaf. "You too."

She hesitated. Ilamchetchenni nudged her. "They are big boys now. They'll come soon and eat. Don't wait for them. " She hesitated some more. Ilamchetchenni nudged her again, pointing her leaf with his eyes encouragingly. She sighed in defeat.

They dug in.

.........................

Ilamchetchenni burped.

Irungovel grinned, patting him on the stomach. Ilamchetchenni swatted his arm away. The Queen laughed.

Still no sign of the boys.

The Queen stifled a yawn. Irungovel noticed. "Why don't you both retire for the night? You both seem pretty tired."

The Queen pursed her lips. "But the boys..."

Irungovel waved her off. "I won't be sleeping any time soon. Don't you worry about a thing. I'll make sure they eat." He grinned. "Even the lovely Payasam."

She looked at Ilamchetchenni. He nodded. The Queen looked back at Irungovel and smiled. They rose as one. "I'll take your leave you then", said Irungovel as he saw them looking in the direction of their chamber, prepared to leave. The corridor where the King and Queen's chamber laid was the only one there. Separate corridors were there for other chambers.

The Royal Couple turned. "Good night!", they told in unison.

"Oh, good night indeed," Irungovel smirked, winking. "Sweet dreams."

.........................................

Irungovel was seated on his bed, one leg languorously dangling down. Mara was with him, tensed. Irungovel looked at him. "Why so nervous, Mara?"

Mara shot him an incredulous look. "You know why, Lord."

Irungovel shook his head. "As a matter of fact, I don't. I only know what you are nervous about, but not why."