Chapter 20: The Coronation

Ilanchezhiyan walked fast, trying to reach his destination before it was too late.

Irungovel just finished talking. He would have been there. He couldn't have slept yet.

He reached the hut and called out. "Paramu?"

Parameshwaran, a young man came out and squinted in the darkness, holding a lamp. Ilanchezhiyan knew him from his childhood days. When the fisherman had almost drowned, Ilanchezhiyan had saved him. They had become fast friends. Chezhiyan however, hasn't visited him in a long time.

"Who? Oh! Chezhiya!"

He walked forward and hugged him. Chezhiyan attempted a smile and hugged him back.

Paramu held him at an arm's length and studied his profile. "Something is not right. What brings you here at this time of the night?"

Ilanchezhiyan exhaled. "I need a favour. A huge one. You just have to trust me. I'll explain."

Paramu raised his brows before nodding once. "Of course. I'll do anything for you. I owe you my life. Name it."

Ilanchezhiyan smiled. He elaborated his plan.

.....................................

Irungovel dipped into River Kaveri.

Once.

Twice.

Thrice.

He came up, gulping mouthfuls of air. Out of instinct, both his hands went to his head in an attempt to brush back his non-existent hair. He let out a frustrated breath, letting his fingers run over his shaved head nonetheless. The slight rough feeling reassured him. He was not going to remain hairless for the rest of his life.

It will grow up faster than how long it took for me to kill Ilamchetchenni.

He winced at his own dark humour. That was uncalled for. He ran his fingers over his head once again, sighing wistfully. He had loved his hair as much as he had loved Ilamchetchenni.

And he did away with both intentionally.

Irungovel shook his head. Must be the anticipation of the coronation.

The coronation!

He immediately got out of the water, having spent way too much time in it already than he was supposed to. He saw Mara on the banks, tapping his feet impatiently. Upon spotting Irungovel, he rushed out frantically, "Hurry up, My Lord! We need to return!!

Irungovel looked at the Shiva temple above them. "Hold on. I'll pray quickly and come."

Mara's eyes widened. "Lord! You are not supposed to!! Your brother just died so you are not allowed for-"

Irungovel started towards the temple, uncaring. "I don't have time for superstitions, boy. I want to pray", he said, shooting Mara a shark grin. "And I will."

Mara sighed, giving up. "Please make haste. We need to be back before the homam to start!!"

Irungovel nodded distractedly and after towelling himself dry with the cloth Mara gave him rushed up the steps. He went in front of the Lord's statue and folded his arms, closing his eyes in the typical posture of praying before the sublime. He let his eyes roam over the decorated statue and smiled.

No matter how many sins he did and will continue to do, he always was a religious person, an ardent devotee of Lord Shiva. After all, even if he is evil, the Lord somehow granted him what he wanted most. He smiled.