Chapter 27: Charred

Alli couldn't sleep.

Something was bothering her. She couldn't put a finger on it.

Restless, she turned to her side. A pair of soft brown oval eyes were staring at her. Alli bit back a scream. "Poovazhagi!", she hissed. "Why are you not asleep? You just creeped me out!"

"You are not asleep either!"

Alli sighed. "I couldn't sleep because I keep feeling as though something bad is to happen."

Poovazhagi bit her lip. "You know what? Although I didn't share your sentiments this morning, I think you might be right."

Alli cocked her head. Poovazhagi shook her head. "No-"

"I told you so!"

Poovazhagi sighed, defeated. "What are we going to do now?", she asked instead.

Alli jumped to her feet. "We are going to sneak in and see if anything has happened."

Poovazhagi's eyes widened. "But, it's the night!"

Alli shot her a look. Poovazhagi elaborated. "What I meant to warn you about is how the Queen will have your head when she knows that you," she sniggered, "an unmarried Princess, is going to slip off in the middle of the night to meet an equally unmarried Prince!"

Alli glared at her. "First of all, I'm not going to meet him. Secondly", she narrowed her eyes, "she wouldn't know. She shouldn't know."

Poovazhagi laughed. "Fine, fine. My lips are sealed. Let's go."

.......................................

Ilanchezhiyan jumped out of his chariot. He hid his chariot in a particularly thick bush. He knew it was the night and no one could possibly see it in the dark but he wasn't ready to take any risk, especially that night. He wanted nothing to rouse any kind of suspicion.

Sub-Commanders Vikraman and Parthiban jumped down as well, their landing as sleek as a cat's. They hadn't let Chezhiyan leave until he had reluctantly agreed to take them along as well.

They reached the Palace grounds in record time. A frantic Chembian was awaiting them. Ilanchezhiyan reached him first. "Where is he?", he asked, cutting straight to the point.

There wasn't any time there to spare for niceties.

Time was of the essence.

Chembian wrung his hands. "I couldn't do anything! Irungovel threw him into the dungeon and I have no clue as to what is going on!"

Parthiban and Vikraman were shaken to their core. This was definitely not the Irungovel they had once been accustomed to.

Ilanchezhiyan gave Chembian a tight nod. "I'll take it from here."

They left behind Chembian and ran to the dungeon, Chezhiyan at the lead. Smoke was billowing in the air. Ilanchezhiyan skidded to a halt. Both the Sub-Commanders paused as well and shot him quizzical looks. Chezhiyan took in a deep breath. 

"So here is what needs to be done", he declared, voice somber. "It looks like there is a fire. No one can know that we are rescuing the Prince. We need to be as silent as possible. We have to sneak in, kill any guards if need be, and free the Prince. Remember, silence is the ke-"

"I'M FREE!!", a loud voice pierced through the otherwise still night. "YOU HEARD THAT IRUNGOVEL? I'M FREE AND YOU CAN DO NOTHING ABOUT IT. NOTHING. I'M THEIR SAVIOUR, NOT YOU. TAKE THAT!!".

Parthiban and Vikraman stared. "Oh no", Chezhiyan murmured, horrified. He turned to face them, anxiety pinching his face. "That can't be good. That's the Prince and it looks like he somehow managed to escape all by himself. We need to get him to stop talking!"