Chapter 49: A Surprise Visit

Just after they had all finished breakfast, a chariot pulled up outside the Nangur Palace.

It was Vasuki!

Surprised, Alli and Poovazhagi were the first to rush out. They stopped before her, gaping. "How are you here?", they shrieked.

Vasuki laughed. "It is nice to meet you too!"

Laughing as well, they ushered her into the throne room. The Nangurvel and his Queen looked utterly taken aback just like their daughters were. Vasuki greeted them with a beam.

It was the Queen who spoke first. "Vasuki? But, I thought you said that you wouldn't leave Azhundur?"

Vasuki grinned, shaking her head. "I said that I wouldn't leave Azhundur to work for money again", she corrected. "But, I think it's high time that I move on from my past." She smiled softly. "Not everyone is the men I'd encountered in my past and it is not fair to treat you all as such."

Everyone smiled at her. She shot Alli and Poovazhagi a playful look. "Well, I couldn't sit around being paid for nothing either. I have to make you girls dance!"

Both of them chuckled. Just then, Valavan, who had gone to wash his hands once he had finished his breakfast, returned. He noticed Vasuki and shot her a polite smile, nodding once. He didn't let his eyes linger though.

He'd learned his lesson.

Alli noticed and suppressed a smirk. Vasuki took in Valavan's appearance and did a double-take. "I'm glad you are well now, Prince", she said, shocked.

Valavan smiled slightly before a thought made him gasp out loud. Everyone turned to look at him curiously. Valavan turned to the Nangurvel, his eyes excited. "O Nangurvel! I just realized something! Ilanchezhiyan is to arrive tomorrow." His eyes glinted. "I want to go to Puhar today instead as a surprise."

The Nangurvel looked at him, astonished. "Puhar, son? Why though? He will visit here anyway, won't he?"

Valavan nodded. "He will. But I see how risky it is for him to arrive every time." He nodded at Vasuki. "It just occurred to me that I could go visit him as well! I see how tired he is every time he visits. This might be a nice change."

The Queen shot him a concerned look. "But, that would prove to be risky for you now, wouldn't it?"

Valavan shook his head. "Not really, Queen. My going there would definitely be less risky than him coming over here on a regular basis. Besides, it wouldn't be a mere visit." He grinned. "Last time Ilanchezhiyan visited, he told me that he had been studying maps and had found the perfect spot for war. I want to go check that and Puhar's status once."

The Nangurvel's eyes widened. "Oh, yes! I'd forgotten about it!" He nodded firmly. "You know what? I'll accompany you there as well."

Valavan shook his head. "Ah, no, O Nangurvel. I'm afraid we won't be able to go together." The Velir King raised a brow. Valavan shrugged. "I still don't want anyone to know that I am in Nangur. If you wish to visit as well, then we must go separately."

Alli piped in. "I have an idea for that! Let's all leave together. Just a little before our destination, we can make the Prince get down so it will appear as though he had walked from wherever he had been hiding."

Valavan nodded. "Good idea."

The Nangurvel stared at his daughter. "Let's all leave together? What do you mean by that? Only the Prince and I are leaving."

Alli shot her father a betrayed look. "You wouldn't take me along?"

The Nangurvel didn't look at his daughter's eyes, fearing that he would give in. He couldn't keep taking her everywhere and risk her exposure to Irungovel!