Chapter 33: Bleak

Irungovel sat on the throne and leaned back leisurely. The Court had already assembled as per his order and was sitting on the edge of their seats, ready to report, eager to please. Mara was standing beside him in his gear. Irungovel nodded at them. "Begin."

The health minister pounced on the opportunity and stood up eagerly. "Your Majesty", he began enthusiastically, "I would like to report on the health infra-"

"State your occupation", asked Irungovel, cutting him off mid-sentence. The minister appeared very flustered. "I'm the health minister, Your Majesty", he said meekly. Irungovel shot him a bored look. "I cannot be bothered with you", he declared dismissively. "Health, education, agriculture and other related sectors can all be taken care of by their respective ministers. In case a problem, a pressing problem at that, arises, you may bring it to my concern." The health minister sat back down, dazed. Chembian, who dealt with agriculture, looked down unhappily without comment. Irungovel noticed.

"Since I know that none of you here are new, I'm quite assured of your capability to do so as you are all very experienced in your fields." He flashed a smile at Chembian. "Am I not right, noble Chembian?" Chembian looked up at being addressed so, shocked. "You are most certainly right, Your Majesty", he managed to get out.

Irungovel nodded at him approvingly. "That's settled then. Let's get to actual matters of concern." He let his eyes rove over the Court. "Who takes care of revenue?", he asked, conscious of who that was. The man newly appointed to take up the deceased Gunaseelan's position stood up. "It is I, Kathiravan, Your Majesty."

Irungovel looked at him and chuckled. "I stand corrected, aren't I? I just said that all the ministers here are experienced. Not you though, huh?"

Kathiravan nodded anxiously. "I took up after Lord Gunaseelan passed away, Your Majesty. I was under him though", he added hastily. "I'm thoroughly aware of my job."

Irungovel nodded sympathetically, playing dumb. "Ah yes, Gunaseelan! Such a good man. He was reported to be... robbed and killed wasn't he?" He shook his head. "Why do things like this occur in the world!" None of the ministers commented. Irungovel sighed. "But I digress. Let's get back to the matter at hand." He gestured towards Kathiravan. "Tell me about profits this year, minister. Let's see how, what was that you said? Ah, thoroughly aware you are of your job."

Kathiravan took a deep breath before he looked down at his manuscripts and rattled off the numbers. Irungovel frowned. "That's it?! How come our profits are this low this year?"

Kathiravan blinked. "That is how our profits are every year, Your Majesty."

Irungovel, once again conscious of the profits Urayur received annually, pretended to be shocked. "That's so low!"

Kathiravan cleared his throat delicately. "That is still a profit, is it not, Your Majesty? Urayur didn't incur any losses this year!"

Irungovel waved him off impatiently. "Stop stating the obvious, minister. Tell me what was the highest expense Urayur suffered." He rubbed his chin thoughtfully. "Cutting into it will definitely prove effective, I imagine."

Kathiravan considered his manuscripts once more before replying. "Agriculture, Your Majesty."

Irungovel shot Chembian a sharp look. "Agriculture? Explain, minister Chembian. Isn't agriculture supposed to give us the maximum revenue instead of being the most expensive sector?"

Kathiravan intervened. "Oh no, Your Majesty. You are mistaken. Agriculture is the sector which provides maximum revenue to us."

Irungovel shot him a look. "That is clearly not the point, minister!", he gritted out. Kathiravan visibly cowered. Irungovel shot him a demeaning look before turning his attention to Chembian. "Explain. What could have required this excess of expenditure?"