Chapter 54: The Mysterious Scroll

Evening had befallen.

Irungovel was lying on his bed, facing upwards. What had happened that morning kept coming back to him.

The Royal Astrologer was tense.

Irungovel took a deep breath, his patience running thin. "What is it that you had wished to talk to me about, Astrologer? Make haste for I'll have you know that I possess very little time."

The Astrologer's eyes were troubled. "What you have done is extremely inauspicious, Your Majesty."

Irungovel raised a brow. "What had I done that you find inauspicious?"

The Astrologer pursed his lips. "Stopping the Indra Vizha mid-way through was very, very wrong. You shouldn't have done that!"

Irungovel rolled his eyes. "Do not tell me that you had taken the pains to come all the way here just to tell me that."

The Astrologer shook his head. "You do not understand, Your Majesty. Indra Vizha isn't about festivities alone. As you know, we have to conduct pujas for twenty-eight days to appease the Gods. Having it terminated before they were fulfilled is not going to please the Gods, especially Lord Indra! It is not going to be good for Urayur, its throne to be specific."

Irungovel made an impatient noise in the back of his throat. "If anyone stopped it, it was Thirumavalavan. It was not my fault."

The Astrologer's face hardened. "Do not blame him, Your Majesty. You were the one who had stopped the Indra Vizha. If the Gods decide to rain their wrath because of this, you will be the one who gets to face the brunt of it."

Irungovel looked at him for a long moment. "Of course. You are partial towards him, aren't you? After all, you were the one who had predicted that he would 'annihilate evil'" He scoffed. "What had you named him? 'Saviour'! Bah."

The Astrologer smiled slightly, picking his things up. "I'm not partial towards anyone, Lord. If it is the will of God, then that is what will happen." He stood up.

Irungovel narrowed his eyes at him. "I do not believe in astrology."

The Astrologer bowed. "Then that is most unfortunate, Your Majesty, for my predictions have never gone wrong once."

Irungovel fumed. Yet another line the very same Astrologer had uttered years back returned to haunt him.

He'll rise to become the greatest king Chola empire has ever seen and will take it to great heights.

Irungovel gritted his teeth before shaking the thought off.

He did not believe in astrology.

Not when he was the one who made his destiny.

Certainly not some stupid sozhis.

He forcibly let his mind wander to other things. Overall, he was rather pleased about that day. Every Velir with the exception of the Nangurvel and the Azhundurvel had agreed to offer their support to Urayur in the upcoming war. He smirked.

Why wouldn't they? Not everyone was suicidal like little one was.

Right then, Mara came into his chamber and bowed low. Irungovel shifted his eyes towards him. "Yes? Anything on the spy?"

Mara nodded. "I had sent a letter, Lord. He must be arriving any time soon."

Irungovel nodded back. Mara continued. "There is more. The Cheras and the Pandyas have sent in their acceptance. They will be with us in the war." He held up two scrolls.