Chapter 29: The Footsteps

Alli took the reins of the chariot and looked behind her. "You alright there, Poovazhagi?"

Poovazhagi nodded. "I'm perfectly alright, Alli. Are you sure you don't want me to drive the chariot, though?"

Alli shook her head with a smile and turned back forward. "Positive. Trust me, I have this under control."

Both the girls turned to their left as they heard a chariot pull up next to them by Sub-Commander Parthiban.

Commander Ilanchezhiyan was right. It was more like a carriage.

The beautiful, considerably spacious four seater was pulled by two sleek brown horses, majestic in their appearance. They put the black horse which pulled the Princesses' chariot to shame.

That's a good thing, I suppose, mused Alli. Our horse will blend in better as long as this darkness lasts compared to theirs.

Ilanchezhiyan had the Prince slumped over his back, careful not to unwrap the plantain leaves tied to his legs. Tenderly, he lowered him into one side of the carriage and placed his legs as much as he could place them straight. Valavan whimpered slightly in pain. It seemed a little crammed given the shortage of space but it'll have to do.

Watching the scene unfold before her sent a surge of affection rush through Alli. She saw Poovazhagi looking at Ilanchezhiyan as well, a soft look on her face. She shook her head, smiling.

All three boys caught them looking towards their carriage. "You go ahead, Princess", said Ilanchezhiyan, nodding at Alli. "We'll take on from here."

Vikraman had a forlorn look on his face. "I take it that you are going to Nangur and never visit again?" Ilanchezhiyan and Parthiban sighed, shaking their heads in an exasperated manner.

Alli smirked. She shared a conspirational look with Poovazhagi. "Why would you say that? Of course we will visit Azhundur! I need to see how the Prince is faring."

Vikraman's eyes lit up before his eyebrows furrowed. "How though? What business could the Princesses of Nangur possibly have in Azhundur?"

Alli took hold of the reins she had previously dropped in the course of their conversation and shot Vikraman a mischievous look. "The same business I had in Urayur!" She winked. "Oops, did I also forget to mention that Poovazhagi and I take dance classes in Azhundur from one of the best dance teachers around these parts?" Both the girls giggled. "The Velir kings of Nangur and Azhundur are friends, just so you know."

Ilanchezhiyan gaped at them. "Wait! Do you mean to say that you came to Urayur for the Prince?!"

Alli rolled her eyes. "Why else would I come here? Didn't Poovazhagi tell you a while back that I found him before you did? He told me that he was returning to Urayur then. I belatedly realized that Irungovel would try to kill him so I arrived a few days back to warn him." She sighed. "Looks like I was too late anyway."

Ilanchezhiyan was still gaping at her. "I can't believe he didn't hear that", he murmured softly.

Alli looked away, a small smile playing on her lips. "I'm sure you can tell him once he wakes up." She suddenly blinked her eyes, stifling a yawn. 

Chezhiyan noticed. "In case you reach Urayur border before us, wait there. I beg you not to move ahead without rest. It wouldn't be safe."

Alli paused to consider for a moment before she nodded. "Fair enough. See you soon, then", she said and waved before she rode off into the night.

Ilanchezhiyan turned and went to where Parthiban was holding the reins. "I'll drive, Parthi. You get down."

Vikraman looked at him in disbelief. "Chezhiya, are you mad? What do you think your body is made of? Steel? You just drove all the way here! You will not drive now. Either I'll drive or Parthiban will. You sit tight with the Prince here in the back."