Chapter 36: Of Dance And Dancers

As they reached the stairs, Vikraman turned to Valavan, smiling excitedly. He had their arms still linked despite many protests from Valavan. He had finally given up. Valavan suspected it was to keep him upright and walk faster but he didn't comment. Now, as he saw Vikraman's smile, he raised an inquisitive brow. "What?"

"Well, tell me what had happened!"

Valavan shot him a sarcastic look. "But, I thought you had mentioned the word 'later' previously."

Vikraman rolled his eyes. "And you believed me? I can't take in all the suspense and wait! Besides, we've walked so far. This proves to be "later"." He looked behind them. "The Princess is yet to arrive. Quick, tell me everything before she comes!"

Valavan shrugged as best as he could with one arm restrained. "What's there to tell? Nothing happened. She only came to check on how I was."

Vikraman shot him a look. "Nice try, Prince. I don't believe a word of the crap you just told me. What about your covers on her hand?"

Valavan chuckled. "Oh, that. She wanted to see how well my legs had healed. I didn't want to show her." It was his turn to roll his eyes. "Naturally, she didn't listen."

Vikraman's face twisted. "What? That's it? But you said that she was forcing you against your will like you were... suggesting something!"

Valavan's eyes twinkled. "And you believed me?"

"Stop stealing my line!"

Valavan laughed. A jingling noise could be heard behind them. They turned. Alli was coming down the stairs, her Salangai in place. Unlike the light tinkling sound of her regular anklets, this was a lot louder and surprisingly pleasant to hear.

She took two stairs at a time and stood beside them, not even out of breath, and smiled. Valavan envied her ability to do so and silently vowed to do everything in his power to walk like he used to soon. She smiled at them before it faltered upon seeing Vikraman. He was still sulking.

Valavan smirked. "Oh, don't worry about him. He's just a little disappointed upon hearing the manner in which I was forced against my will." Alli chortled. Vikraman shot her a sullen look.

Alli glanced at Valavan. He seemed to be holding himself together pretty well. She noticed how his curly hair had grown quite a bit, brushing over his shoulders. His dark eyes weren't vacant anymore and he wasn't abysmally thin as he was in Karuvur. He also seemed to be smiling a lot more these days, his dimple teasing his cheek.

How on Earth did he manage to be this attractive even while he was squeaking and slightly hobbling?

Before they knew it, they had reached the bottom of the stairs. The others were waiting for them. The Azhundurvel had left for his throne room as a court was to be held.

Ilanchezhiyan smiled at them before he saw their linked arms. He raised a brow. Valavan shrugged again.

Poovazhagi pointed at Alli's feet. "Why are you wearing your Salangai already?"

Alli bit her lip. "I don't know. I just wanted to be prepared!"

Poovazhagi's face betrayed signs of panic now as well. Abruptly, Vikraman left his arm and went to stand beside Poovazhagi. She smiled at him politely. Vikraman seized the opportunity and started talking about a completely random topic with her. Before long, he got her laughing. Valavan couldn't miss how he was smiling to impress. Valavan suppressed a grin.