Explanations

Everyone had gathered around the dining table, and Asriel's flower pot was set in the center. Sam, Frisk and Chara sat in a group on one side of the table, and everyone else was on the other. They had a lot of questions, and for that Chara couldn't blame them, but this was just too much for them right now. Hopefully it would all be over soon.

"Chara.. What happened to your brother? Why is he a flower?" Father asked, looking nervously over at them while holding Mother close. There was so much guilt, had Chara done anything other than tear this family apart? At least he survived..

"It's okay, Dad! Chara saved me! I was going to die, but Chara took my soul and put it in a flower so that I could live. Chara saved my life." Asriel replied before Chara had a chance to say anything, and they were grateful for that. They weren't sure how to answer that question.

"Why were you even in that danger? What on earth made any of this seem like a good idea?" Mother asked, filled with frustration and pure shock. No one could blame her for that, either. These past few days had put a lot on Mom, and this really was a breaking point.

"I don't know Mom, maybe having a shot at freeing the Underground was tempting for some reason. It's not like I would have any reason at all to want to make up for everything humanity did wrong." Chara snapped, and Mother winced. They shouldn't have done that, but sometimes it was just so hard to control.

"Give 'em a break, your grace," Undyne interjected, already incredibly proud of her two students. They had done something no one else had been able to without a single life lost, "They did the right thing. The selfless thing. Plus, I'm sure Alphys can build a new body for Asriel for Chara to move his soul into!"

"Yeah! Alphys is a little genius! Not to mention, the barrier is broken!" Papyrus chimed in, patting Alphys on the head with pride. Sam laughed a little, nodding in agreement. Sam had been around Alphys as E long enough to know that she was pretty smart.

"And I don't mind being a flower until then, it's okay, really!" Asriel assured with a big smile, but he made a gesture to Chara with one of his petals. Chara simply nodded, and pulled his flower pot closer.

"Okay, okay.. Just.. Tell us what happened." Mother sighed, and Asgore nodded. This must have been a lot for dad, too. Although he never said it, Chara was pretty sure that Asriel was always his favorite child.

"We broke the barrier and almost died, what else is there to say?" Chara grumbled, folding their arms, Asriel turned to look at them.

"Chara, please. I think she meant in a little more detail." Asriel said, trying to calm Chara down. He knew that there was a lot of guilt and pain in their soul, so he didn't blame them for the way that they acted, but he didn't want them to hurt mother, either.

"Yeah, that might help a bit," Sam said with a laugh, looking over at Frisk, "But I can help explain everything if they don't feel up to it. I was there."

"It's okay, Mom. I can explain." Frisk said softly, turning to face everyone else as they began to tell their tale. They started at the very beginning, how Asriel had overheard that they could break the barrier and how they snuck out. They also decided not to include that it was Sam that was attempting to stop them, as Frisk knew that it wasn't really her. When Frisk started their story, Chara had picked up Asriel's flower pot and excused themselves from the dining table, heading to their room and locking the door.

Once they were alone, Asriel began to cry, "I'm so scared, Chara. Everyone needs me to be happy but I can't when all I can feel is fear. I could see death, right in front of me, reaching out for me. Is that what it was like for you..? Are you still scared?"

"Of course I am. I still have nightmares about it, you know? And the fact that you held it together so well in there, that's something brave." Chara comforted in a soft and gentle tone. Sure, they may have been rude and sarcastic most everywhere, but this was their brother.. And he was scared.

"How could I be brave when I'm just so terrified?" Asriel asked with a sniffle, "You're never afraid. Even when we were fighting that darkness, you weren't scared at all."

"You can only ever be brave when you're scared, else it isn't really bravery. And you did that better than anyone I've ever seen. You don't let it control you the way I do." Chara smiled reassuringly, setting Asriel's flowerpot down and pulling something out of the drawer of his nightstand.

"You were scared..?" Asriel asked, looking up towards Chara. They were holding a locket in their hand, one in the shape of a yellow heart. He could see the red heart locket around their neck, as well.

"Terrified." Chara nodded, sitting down in front of Asriel and placing the chain of the locket around his petals, resting the yellow heart gently in the soil. "Terrified of failing, terrified of letting everyone down.. Terrified of losing the people I care about."

"But we did it, didn't we? We're heroes now, and everyone is proud of us. No one will ever know just how scared we were.. So it's okay, right?" Asriel asked, looking down at the locket in his flower pot. He smiled.

"Yeah, we did it, and you're damn right it's okay." Chara leaned back and grinned, playing with the locket around their neck, "Now come on, hero of the underground. We're going to have to be there when King Dad tells everyone about the barrier."