- seven -

dear kang,

hi there! it was nice to receive your letter. it made me happy to have mail. its been a while since anything has come for me, usually we just get bills and such in my house.

speaking of home life, it makes me feel comforted in knowing that you confide in me with your home life, and i'm hoping i can confide in you as well.

my home life is messy to say the least. maybe not as messy as yours, i'm not completely sure, but it is fairly messy. i'll start off with this: i have one sibling, a little sister named yewon. she's six years old and i have basically been her caretaker since she was three. our parents are always too busy fighting to take care of us, but i've grown used to it.

they fought a lot before yewon was born, but once she was, they stopped. i was elated when this happened, and i thought they would never fight so much again. then, right before my sister turned three, they started to fight again. it started slowly, and before i knew it it was nonstop. yewon was scared, and i protected her.

the scariest night of my life so far was when my father found out that my cousin was gay. apparently, my mother had a suspicion that he was, but she never said anything because she knows my father is homophobic (which... she's not much better, but she wouldn't disown her child over their sexuality i think). he screamed at her, told her that she was an idiot and was wrong to not tell him. then, he forbade all of us from ever speaking to my cousin again, and that was when i snapped. to put it simply, my cousin has been my rock for as long as i can remember. losing him meant losing a part of me, and that thought made me so anxious. i was hurt finding out about my father being homophobic, and i decided i couldn't listen to him. i'm thankfully still able to talk to my cousin without my father knowing, but every time we do, we're risking both his safety and my own.

sorry about that little rant, i've just never trusted anyone enough to tell that story. my cousin obviously already knew, but i don't have a lot of close friends outside of him.

since you told me, i think its safe to let you know i am very close to your age. i'm nearly 19, my birthday is coming up pretty soon actually. i started school late, so i should technically be in college but i am finishing up secondary school this year. i'm honestly a bit scared about going to college, but i'll cross that bridge when i come to it.

thank you again for your letter and i hope i hear from you soon.

- choi jh

yeosang felt a smile form on his face as he finished reading the letter, excitement at receiving a response present. today was going to be a good day, he told himself. he had found someone to confide in, someone who wasn't wooyoung and would probably better understand what he was dealing with a bit better.

yeosang quickly got to writing a response, only stopping when he heard his phone go off with a text notification.

wooyoung
can i come over???

yeosang
i guess

wooyoung
it's okay if you don't want
me to

yeosang
i'm sorry i didn't mean it
that way, i'm just confused

you never ask to come over

wooyoung
i had a fight with san :(
he's mad at me for something
stupid ://

yeosang
well what did you say?

wooyoung
can i come over & tell you then??

yeosang
okay