- fourty four -

TW: mentions of death

yeosang grew restless again for the next few weeks, having a gut feeling that something was wrong but not wanting to worry anyone. jongho was quick to notice, but knew that the boy wouldn't want to talk about it, so instead he played it off as though he wasn't sleeping well either.

"wanna go on a walk?" jongho asked in a whisper.

"i-it's late... y-you should sleep..."

"i can't... i've tried..."

"o-okay... let's go..."

"bring your keys... in case we don't feel like coming back."

yeosang nodded and got up, chewing his lip and going to grab his keys and one of jongho's hoodies.

"hmm... you always look so good in my clothes," jongho commented.

yeosang gave a soft smile, then sighed a bit and grabbed his shoes.

the two walked down the street in near silence, comfortably holding hands and enjoying each other's presence. jongho chose not to say anything until he saw yeosang yawn, when he quickly turned his head to look at the boy.

"you tired?"

yeosang shook his head.

"c'mon, yeo... i saw you yawn... don't lie to me, baby..."

"o-okay... fine, i am..."

"your house or san's?"

"m-mine?"

jongho nodded and stopped for a moment to give yeosang a kiss on the forehead, then he smiled and continued on.

"what's running through that beautiful mind of yours, love? you haven't been yourself the past couple of weeks..."

"s-something feels off... t-there's something w-wrong..."

"do you think it's your mom? we haven't gone to visit her in a bit..."

yeosang shrugged, sighing softly and staring at his feet. he hated this feeling.

"yeo... don't be afraid to tell me anything, yeah? if you feel like there's something wrong, you tell me. we'll figure it out together, love."

"p-promise?"

"of course."

the two boys walked into yeosang's house, surprised when they saw his mother sitting on the couch, reading a book.

"m-mom?"

"hi, sweetie... i wasn't sure when you'd be home, so i wanted to try and wait up for you."

"t-this isn't— t-this doesn't f-feel r-real..." yeosang muttered, tears welling up in his eyes.

"hey... yeo, come here... it's real, baby," jongho whispered softly, realizing how yeosang was freaking out.

"b-but... y-you're supposed to be in the h-hospital! w-why didn't you c-call to t-tell me y-you were out?"

"i wanted to surprise you, sweetheart... i-i thought you'd be happy..."

"i-i a-am... i-i'm just—"

jongho quickly pulled yeosang into his arms and the boy started sobbing, his entire body shaking as he tried to calm down.

"i'm sorry, ma'am..." jongho said softly. "is it okay if i take him upstairs until he's feeling a bit better?"

yeosang's mother nodded, frowning a bit as the two boys made their way upstairs. yeosang was quick to start scratching at his skin, which jongho quickly stopped, holding the boy's hands tight.