Chapter Fifty-Eight

"I don't damsel well.
 Distress, I can do.
 Damseling?
 Not so much."

James Patterson

»»»«««

»»»«««

Bri and Skylar follow Rebekah through the school hallways, the strawberry blonde tucked into the redhead's side, an arm wrapped securely around her shoulders.

"I'm sorry for worrying you," the banshee apologises quietly, Rebekah listening to the interaction with curiosity, "but I'm probably about to worry you more because I wasn't quite honest about the quarry. Your father was definitely there, and he had friends with him. A small pack of deviants, you could say. And, well, it wasn't a coincidence they were near where I woke up."

Rebekah turns around when she hears the stumble of boots — obviously, the teen's since the banshee is barefoot — and watches the horror wash over Skylar's face as she rights herself.

"What is so terrifying about your father?" the Original questions, a perfect eyebrow quirked.

"Oh, just the fact that he murdered a young woman on a morning jog with the intention of activating his werewolf gene, and has a vendetta against us," Skylar explains with forced flippancy, "He was also abusive for years. So, you know, just the usual poster child of a doctor and father."

Bri tilts her head lightly as Rebekah glances between them, as though questioning the validity of the teen's explanation, and the banshee adds, "He also recently snapped Ric's neck, so there's that. I'm pretty sure he's outranked your brother as one of our problems."

"Well now, that hurts, love."

The three girls turn towards the Hybrid as he rounds a nearby corner, hand to his chest in feigned hurt.

The banshee studies the man as he studies her in turn — he appreciates the view and she appraises the threat — before she remarks, "No one is going to die tonight, you know? The voices haven't changed since I left the quarry. That means that the only way you succeed in turning Tyler into a hybrid has everyone, including Elena, leaving here alive."

"That's why you've been acting so blasé," Klaus realises with one eyebrow quirked, "You saved the humans knowing everyone else here would be safe."

"As safe as one can be with a murderous Hybrid running around, snapping necks all willy-nilly," Bri snarks with glowing red eyes, "You really couldn't wait to do this another night? It's the first day of school tomorrow. I have to wake up early so I can finish setting up my class and my office since I didn't get to do that today, and then I have to deal with teens who don't want to be here. All. Day. And that's forgetting all about the vengeful werewolf and his pack of deviants hanging around town, waiting to strike."

Skylar watches as Bri seemingly starts wilting, exhaustion now setting in once she finishes ranting, and she rushes to help her stand.

Klaus beats her there, peering down at the woman inquisitively as he addresses her strawberry blonde ward, "Did she not just wake after a near-full day of sleep? Why is she already so tired?"