Chapter Twelve

"Some women fear the fire
Some women simply become it"
R.H. Sin

Haga, Örebro, Sweden:

"Let's play hide and seek," a red haired woman says in Swedish, tears in her eyes as the five year old Brianna nods excitedly.

"I'm the best at hide and seek, mamma" Bri responds to her mother giddily.

"Yes, you are," the red head bends down, now face to face with Bri, "And this better be your best hiding spot yet."

"You and pappa won't find me," an unknowing Bri assures, as her mother kisses her on her forehead, sending the young girl running from their house near the edge of both the small city and the forest, calling out emotionally, 'We love you.'

Brianna disappears, finding her best hiding spot yet, while the red head rushes into her house, meeting the teary eyes of her husband.

"Let the witch know Bri is hiding," he croaks out sadly.
"She knows," the red head replies, "She already has the blood to do a location spell."
"I wish we could watch our baby grow up," the man says, embracing his wife tight.
"I do too," she replies, her voice cracking as the couple both start crying.

She finds herself playing with her husband's blond hair to calm herself down, the action also calming him down.

"They can't find her," the red head says sadly, "I don't care what I promised."

Present day; Mystic Falls High School

"Look at you, all retro," Damon says, causing Stefan to look at him.
Stefan, annoyed, asks, "What are you doing here?"

"Why wouldn't I be here?" Damon asks rhetorically, before continuing, "Bonnie deactivated the Gilbert invention, Isobel is gone and it's Founders' Day! I'm here to eat cotton candy and wait for my girl to wake up."

"Don't start with me, Damon," Stefan warns.
"Oh, but you started this, Stefan, with that whole 'You're not good enough, leave Bri alone' speech," Damon reminds, teasing his younger brother, "I'm enjoying that."

The brothers continue arguing until Elena arrives in her dress, looking almost exactly like Katherine.

A little while later, everyone is where they're supposed to be; whether it's on the float, in the crowd, or behind a stand.
Damon finds himself by Bonnie.

When the young witch tries to leave, Damon asks, "Where are you going?"
"Away from you," Bonnie responds simply, before Damon calls out, "I wanna say something to you."

"Just leave me alone," Bonnie exclaims, not hiding her annoyance or dislike for the vampire.
"Thank you," Damon says before she can leave, shocking her, "The device that Emily spelled could have killed me. I don't take what you did lightly so, thank you."

"I did it for Elena and Bri," Bonnie dismisses.
"I know that," Damon admits, "but I'm still very grateful. And.." he trails off, before continuing, "I owe you."