Chapter Seven

Bonnie was staying out of town for a while, and although Brianna had wanted to stay with her to help her grieve, Bonnie reminded the blonde that she has other responsibilities.

After staying a couple extra days with the grieving teen witch, Bri returns to Mystic Falls.
She finds Elena on a hunt for her birth mother, who may or may not be Alaric's dead wife, who was killed by Damon.
But, Damon is too busy spiralling because Katherine wasn't in the tomb to remember her.

So, Bri goes to the Salvatore boarding house looking for Stefan.
The blonde walks into Stefan's room, and calls out for him, "Stefan?"

"Better. Me," Damon says, walking out of Stefan's en-suite bathroom without a shirt on.
"You look, um," Bri says, looking for the right words.
"Dashing? Gorgeous? Irresistible?" Damon supplies.

"How about a touch of all three, and uh, wrecked," Bri says, a soft sad smile on her face, as he gets closer to her.

The fact that he may or may not have killed Elena's mother didn't change the way she saw him. He's a vampire, Stefan's a vampire. They're bound to have killed people in their past.

"No reason why," Damon says, "Do you know that I am one of Mystic Falls' most eligible bachelors?"

"What? You, single? How does that happen?" Bri jokes with him, and successfully gets a small chuckle out of him.
"I know right," he replies cockily.

Bri knows if she asks Damon how he is, he'll lie, he'll deflect. It's natural at this stage of a strange rejection. So, she just watches as he throws a button up shirt on.

She studies him as he walks around Stefan's room, standing in front of a mirror.
"So, what can I do for you? I'm a barrel of favors today," Damon says, "It's my newfound purpose- how can I help people?"

"I'm just meeting up with Elena and Stefan," Bri says, "We're all heading to the fundraiser. Yay me, I get to third wheel."

Damon continues facing the mirror, letting out a huff before turning to Bri, struggling with buttoning up his shirt.
"Help a guy out, will you? Can't get this."

"Yeah, sure," Bri says, and she moves right in front of him, slowly buttoning up his shirt.
"So, we found out who Elena's birth mom is," Bri says, waiting momentarily for an answer, before continuing, "And I'm discovering more abilities, which kind of scares me."

"Ecch, who cares?" Damon says, and Bri pauses. She looks away from the buttons of his shirt, and up to him, a confused look on her face.

"She left Elena," Damon elaborates, "and you seem to always know how to control your abilities, even when they just appeared."

The blonde smiles softly at Damon's thoughts, and sends a grateful smile his way. Icy blue eyes meet friendly green eyes, and they lock.

Damon, although he was hurting, felt safe and warm, and something more, as he looked into the beautiful blonde's beautiful green eyes.
They were soft, and conveyed care in a way he hadn't seen anyone convey it before.
And unknowingly, he felt the same thing Bonnie and Sheila had felt; a blanket of light, and warmth, and love, over the darkness.

He tried to think of Katherine, or even Elena, but neither were part of the light Brianna poured into his mind with her eyes.