Chapter Forty-Two

"For a star to be born,
there is one thing that must happen:
a gaseous nebula must collapse.
So collapse.
Crumble.
This is not your destruction.
This is your birth."
Zoe Skylar

"Stef!"
"Stefan!"

Bri lurches to her feet, rushing to a panicking Andie.
The flames part for her, and she immediately drops to the vampire's side, grabbing her hand and comforting her while glaring up at the Original.

"Was that necessary, dickhead?"

Klaus smirks in response to the banshee's question, turning to the witch still standing at the ceremonial bowl, "Whenever you're ready, Greta."

Greta begins chanting, the ring of fire surrounding Andie and Bri dispelling.

Stalking towards them, Klaus watches with curiosity as the redhead forms a scarlet bubble around herself and the blonde, their mouths moving, but their voices not reaching his ears.

"Excuse me," Klaus calls out as he reaches the bubble, "but it is Ms Star's turn."

The scarlet energy dissipates, and Andie's hand tightens around Bri's.
The journalist's eyes tear up, her heart racing in fear and anticipation of her impending death.

And then, the fear and anxiety she feels lessens.

Elena drops her gaze to the floor, her jaw clenching as she hears Bri inhale sharply.
Bri watches as Andie pulls herself to her feet, glancing gratefully at Bri before speeding towards Greta.

The banshee's eyes widen as the vampire ferociously bites into the witch's neck.

"No," Bri exclaims as her hand shoots out, scarlet energy streaming towards the vampire as Klaus speeds over to her with a stake in hand.

Stefan wakes to the sound of Bri yelling out in pain, the scent of her blood reaching his nose before his eyes can focus on her.

Andie drops to the floor, the pain from being staked in the back having already disappeared.

Her glossy eyes meet the green of the banshee's, the blood dripping from her back ceasing as blood drips from beneath Bri's red leather jacket.

The fear Andie feels disappears with the pain as she's flipped onto her back.

Klaus hunches over the vampire, raising the stake in his hand as he readies to kill her.
Andie watches as tears cascade down the banshee's soft features, green flickering scarlet as Bri pulls herself to her knees.

Stefan watches with bated breath as the Original's arm lowers, plunging the stake into the blonde's chest.

Bri yells out in pain as she drops forward, catching herself with one hand, the other still outstretched towards Andie.

Now on her hand and knees, Bri watches as Klaus gives the stake one last thrust-the wood piercing the vampire's heart.

Andie's skin starts turning grey, but her eyes never leave the banshee, whose eyebrows furrow and chin trembles, the scarlet stream still flowing from her hand as she chokes back sobs.