Chapter Forty-One

"She lived for others,
her heart tuned
to their anguish
and their needs.
"
Dean Koontz

"Bria!"
"Bri!"

Katherine speeds at the Original while Damon can do nothing but watch from outside as Klaus catches Bri's dead body.

One arm holding the banshee up, Klaus' freehand raises, his fingers wrapping around the vampire doppelgänger's neck, stopping her in place.

"When I let you go, you will sit down," Klaus compels.

Dropping the brunette, the Original watches as she skulks back to the couch, surprising Damon–who has to restrain himself from outing Katherine's vervain ingestion.

The redhead securely in his grasp, Klaus starts towards the door.

Damon doesn't move, his icy glare on the Original that nears him.
Unperturbed by the glare he receives from the raven-haired vampire, Klaus continues towards him until he stands directly in front of him.

Too quick for Damon to comprehend, Klaus' hands shoot out, grasping his head and snapping his neck, causing Katherine to gasp.

The Original's arms move quickly, one wrapping around Bri's torso while the other goes behind her knees, catching her before she falls to the ground.

Katherine can only watch as Klaus carries her Bria bridal style, speeding out the door and disappearing into the night.

As soon as the Original is long gone, Katherine jumps to her feet and rushes towards the doorway.
When she can't get out due to the compulsion, she rushes around the apartment, gathering a few things before returning to the doorway.

Throwing an open blood bag at Damon's face, the brunette starts calling for him, throwing pillows at him to try to wake him up quicker.

When he finally moves, Katherine sighs, "Come on, Damon. Wake the hell up!"

Groaning, Damon's eyes flutter open, blood splattered across his face and pillows surrounding him, "That dick."

"Finally!"

Getting his bearings, the raven-haired vampire pulls himself to his feet, glaring at Katherine, "Why did you let him take Bri?"

"I didn't have a choice," Katherine grumbles, Damon immediately scoffing, "That's why we brought vervain for you; So that you did have a choice!"

Katherine's eyebrows furrow, her gaze set on him with incredulity, "Do you think Bria would approve of me trying to stop him, and probably dying in the process? No, she wouldn't! I did what she would have wanted me to do."

Damon is silent, prompting Katherine to continue, "Besides, she probably knew Klaus was going to kill her. And before you say anything, she didn't tell us because she knew we would object."

"I hate it when you make sense," the raven-haired vampire mumbles, pulling his phone out of his pocket.

✯✯✯

"The sacrifice is completed in stages as the full moon sets," Elijah explains to Ric, Skylar, Jenna, Rose, Trevor, and Stefan as they near the witch house, "First, the werewolf is killed, then the vampire. Finally the doppelgänger. Once Elena dies, the curse will be broken. Klaus will become hybrid."

"So when do we attack?" Ric asks, his hand entwined with Jenna's, rubbing comforting circles on the back of her hand.

"Elena's death will activate his dormant werewolf side. He'll be vulnerable during the transformation," Elijah states, his gaze moving to the dilapidated house in front of them, "That's when Bonnie comes in."