Chapter Eighteen

"We know that from time to time,
there arise among human beings,
people who seem to exude love
as naturally as the sun
gives out heat"
Alan Watts

Bri blinks against the harsh light streaming through the window, eventually resorting to using her hand to stop the sun from its assault on her eyes.

Finally able to see, Bri sits up and looks around the room, finding it somewhat unfamiliar.

"Damon?" the banshee calls out, remembering that the vampire took her to the Salvatore boarding house, what she assumes was the night before.

When there's no response, Bri swings her legs to the edge of the bed. As she stands, the wooden floor creaks beneath her; the atmosphere immediately becoming creepier.

Aware of the creaky floor, Bri moves towards the door carefully.

"Stefan?" Bri calls out, "Damon?"

Before she can reach the door, Bri kicks something. Looking down, Bri notices a knitted teddy bear at her feet.

Kneeling down, Bri picks the small toy up. Thrown into a flashback, Bri grabs her head, groaning in pain as images flash rapidly.

"You must return to where your story began," the familiar voice of Nattmara states while Bri drops to the floor in pain.

"Stop it," Bri pleas, her eyes twisted shut as images blur past too fast for her to see them, "It hurts. Please, make it stop."

"The anniversary of the beginning is near," Nattmara reminds the blonde, trying to keep the weak connection, "You will learn the truth then. Where it-"

"Stop," Bri screams, the shrill shriek ripping through her vocal cords, finally tearing her away from the dream.

Bri sits, gasping and grabbing at her neck with her left hand when she hears distant shouting.
The shouting wasn't distant at all; in fact, Damon stands right beside the bed, his hands over his ears as he calls for her.

Damon reaches for her casted hand, but is shocked when he discovers a plush toy already in Bri's hand.
When Bri follows Damon gaze, spotting the familiar teddy bear, she throws it across the room, continuing to panic.

"Breathe, Bri," Damon rushes out, reaching for both of the blondes hands, "what happened? What's wrong?"

"Nattmara wants me to go back to Sweden," Bri responds after calming down enough to catch her breath.

Damon looks at the banshee, confusion evident on his face.

"Right, that makes no sense without context," Bri says, moreso to herself then Damon.
Bri describes her dream to the vampire, who listens intently.

"Basically, my ancestor wants me to go back to my family's house in Sweden, because I'll 'learn the truth' then," Bri sums up.
"Are you going to?" Damon asks softly.

"I need to do this," Bri sighs, "Not just because Nattmara wants me to; I think, now that I know what really happened to my parents, I should go back."

Damon searches her bright green eyes for any hesitance, but upon finding none, he nods.

Deciding to change the subject, Bri asks, "What's on the agenda for today?"
"Ric, Elena, and I are heading to Duke to find out more about the Lockwood family," Damon explains, "and Stefan is helping Barbie vamp with feeding."