Chapter Thirteen

A/N:
Kathlena= Katherine disguised as Elena
Hope you enjoy

"If you were born with the weakness to fall
you were born with the strength to rise."
Rupi Kaur

While Brianna arrives at the scene of an accident, intent on changing the course of Carolines future, Damon arrives at the Gilbert household to deliver bad news to the younger Gilbert.

"Caroline will be okay, she's strong."
And I'll be damned if I let her die.

"Anna's dead."
I wanted to help her, but I couldn't.

"She will come out of surgery, and she'll be alright."
And I'll stay and protect her until she goes home.

"I turned my humanity off for a very long time and life was a lot easier."
Life was a lot easier, not better.

Brianna watches as Tyler disappears around the corner, off to look for his mother. Turning to face Liz, Bri comforts, "She's going to be okay."
"I know," Liz mutters, "But a mom can worry."
Bri embraces the worried mother, before taking a seat and reading a magazine.

Damon stands on the porch of the Gilbert house, frowning at how his talk with Jeremy went. Katherine, disguised as Elena, walks up to the front door, holding Elena's dress, and is surprised to find the raven haired vampire on the porch.

"What are you doing here?" Kathlena asks him.
"A failed and feeble attempt at doing the right thing," Damon responds.
Intrigued, and staying in character, Kathlena asks, "Which was?"

Damon shakes his head, before motioning for Elena's dress, "It's not important. Let me take this for you."

"Thank you," Kathlena says as Damon takes the dress and bag, before setting it down on the porch.

"You know, I came to this town wanting to destroy it," Damon admits, rambling, "Tonight, I found myself wanting to protect it. How does that happen? I'm not a hero, Elena. I don't do good. It's not in me."
"Maybe it is," Kathlena offers.
"Nah," Damon negates, "it's reserved for my brother, and Brianna, and you, and Bonnie... who, even though she has every reason to hate me, still tried to help Stefan save me."

"Why do you sound so surprised?" Kathlena questions, mildly interested in the direction the conversation is going, and extremely interested in stirring up trouble.

"Because she did it for you and Bri," Damon responds, "Which means that somewhere along the way, you decided that I was worth saving. And I wanted to thank you for that."
"You're welcome," Kathlena smiles.

Damon leans forward, and gives her a quick kiss on her cheek. He pulls away, and is about to turn away when Kathlena surprises him by kissing him.

Recoiling, Damon's eyes widen at the brunette in front of him.

Undeterred, Kathlena leans in again, pressing her lips against his, but is surprised when Damon pulls away again.

"Isobel was right," Damon informs the doppelganger in front of him, "I have feelings for Bri."

At the mention of his feelings for Brianna, Kathlena gets slightly angry.
While Damon believes it is because of being rejected, Katherine is actually protective of her Bria.