Chapter Thirty Six

"She will rise.
With a spine of steel,
and a roar like thunder,
she will rise."
Nicole Lyons

"Jenna," Bri's voice rings through her bedroom that Jenna is sleeping in, "Do you want some coffee?"

"Yes please," Jenna grumbles, forcing her tired eyes open.

"Do you want me to bring it up for you, or will you come down for it?" Bri asks, waiting patiently in the doorway for her friend's response.

"If I don't get up now, I'll end up staying in bed all day," Jenna groans as she sits up, "I'll come down for it in a few minutes."

Bri nods, turning to head downstairs, calling back, "If you aren't down in ten minutes, I'll bring it up for you."

Without waiting for a reply, the banshee disappears down the staircase and into her kitchen, where Skylar is putting the kettle on.

"Is she okay?" the teen questions as Bri enters the kitchen, recalling the events of the night before; Jenna learning everything, and feeling heartbroken that her loved ones wouldn't tell her the truth, leaving her clueless and unable to help them.

"Tired, but better than last night," Bri responds honestly, sending the strawberry blonde a smile as she asks, "How was it to be back?"

Skylar laughs, "I didn't know how much I actually missed sleeping in my own bed."

The kettle boils, and Bri starts making three cups of coffee, placing one in front of Skylar, taking one into her own hand, and leaving the last one where she made it.

She can sense Jenna moving around upstairs, an indication that the woman would be joining the other two in the kitchen in a few minutes.
"She's up and about now," Bri tells Skylar with a smile, the teen returning it immediately.

A few minutes pass before Jenna is walking down the stairs, wearing comfortable clothes she wouldn't go be going anywhere in.

"Morning," the Sommers woman greets the two as Bri hands her coffee to her, "You two redheads."

"I'm strawberry blonde," Skylar corrects, "And besides, you forget your own reddish tinge."

The three make small talk as they drink their coffee, Bri asking Jenna as the latter finishes, "Elena told me you have a thesis to write; do you want to do it here?"

Jenna sheepishly nods in response, Bri immediately nodding in acknowledgement, "Well, you can do so in my office. I have a computer in there that you can use, and quite a few books, encyclopedias and research papers you can use as references if you want to."

"What would I do without you?" Jenna asks rhetorically.
Bri laughs, jokingly responding, "Crash and burn."

"Too soon," Skylar interjects, "Way too soon."

Suddenly, Bri's eyes close, and when they open again, they're glowing red.

"I asked John for a do-over," Isobel states from the entrance way to the Gilbert kitchen.

Elena glares at John and asks incredulously, "You invited her in?"
"She has information about Klaus," John reasons, "Please, just listen to her, okay?"

"I'm so glad you aren't staying at your place," Bri voices, although she's still watching the interaction taking place at the Gilbert house.

"Why?" Jenna asks, "What's going on?"
"John invited Isobel into the house," Bri responds plainly.