Chapter Fifty

"The Sun will rise and set regardless.
What we choose to do with the light
while it's here is up to us.
Journey wisely.
"
Alexandra Elle

"Alexandra Elle

»»»«««

Damon and Skylar smile at Bri's sleeping form—Sammy's head laying in her lap while her head rests on his.

The banshee's breathing is light and even, and her fiery hair cascades over the moose's snout, prompting him to snort lightly after most inhales.

"Sammy is very considerate," Skylar whispers to the raven-haired vampire beside her, "He isn't moving even when Bri's hair nearly goes up into his nose."

"He's not even asleep," Damon adds, "He just doesn't want to wake her up."

Hazel eyes meet blue as Skylar states earnestly, "More people need to be like this moose."

The vampire snorts, rolling his eyes—but secretly agreeing with the strawberry-blonde teen—before asking, "Should we head home? Or do we wait for Bri to wake up?"

"I think we should wait," Skylar responds softly, returning her gaze to her guardian, "We don't know how much longer Sammy has. I don't think Bri would appreciate not being able to say goodbye in-case she doesn't see him again."

"You know what Klaus is doing," Nattmara's voice echoes through the void, "Don't you?"

"He's searching for werewolves to turn into hybrids," Bri responds, "Because of being hunted down for so long, there can't be very many left—and because of this, he hasn't found any yet."

"Precisely," the disembodied voice confirms, "He will remain unsuccessful until the next full moon. He is unable to create more of his kind even though he lifted the curse."

"What do you mean?"

"I cannot tell you exactly why it won't work," Nattmara states, "What I can tell you is that he is missing an ingredient. Until he learns of this, all hybrids he creates will die."

Bri sighs, her heart heavy at the thought of how few werewolves there are, and how many could die before the Original Hybrid realises he's missing something, "We'll go back before the next full moon—I might be able to stop him before he tries to turn them."

"You are as your name depicts," Nattmara declares, her voice growing further and further away as the darkness starts dissipating, "Noble—beyond a doubt."

Bri's green eyes flutter open to Skylar reading Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone to Damon.

Over an hour has passed since Bri had fallen asleep, and the human had decided to introduce the vampire to J.K. Rowling's work while the banshee slept.