Chapter Fifty-Two

"I can't protect you
without holding a sword.
I can't embrace you
while holding a sword.
"
Tite Kubo

»»»«««

»»»«««

Forest green eyes watch as leaf green eyes blink rapidly, the pupils constricting and dilating as they focus.

"Bri?"

A hand is placed on the banshee's shoulder, and Bri turns towards the person with eyes wide with confusion, shock, and disbelief.

"Stef?"

✯✯✯

"How do you lose a whole fiery-haired grown-ass woman?"

Damon sighs, running his hand through his raven hair as he turns to the strawberry-blonde teen sitting up in her bed, "I don't know! And I didn't lose her. She was missing when I woke up."

"Didn't she leave a note?" Skylar questions, adding after the vampire shakes his head, "Well then, why not just call her?"

"She didn't leave a note, but she did leave her phone," Damon reveals, showing the banshee's phone to the teenager.

Skylar starts shaking her head as she climbs out of bed, "That's very unlike her. What if she's in trouble? What if someone has taken her? What if—"

"No more 'what if's'," the vampire interrupts, hiding his own anxiety for the sake of the girl, "Bri has proven time and time again that she can handle herself. But—we can call around and ask if anyone has seen her."

Damon and Skylar are quick to start making calls, explaining that Bri has disappeared and asking if anyone has seen or heard from her.

The answer is always no.

✯✯✯

Bri wraps her arms around the younger Salvatore's neck, "It's so good to see you again. How are you? How have you been? Are you doing alright?"

Stefan inhales the familiar scent of the banshee, relishing in the sense of comfort it brings.

"I can't believe you're actually here," the vampire exhales, "I'm doing fine. Better now that you're here. How did you get here?"

"I have no idea," the redhead shrugs as she pulls away from the boy, "I fell asleep in my bed and woke up here—maybe I accidentally teleported in my sleep? That doesn't matter right now. Has Klaus been treating you alright? He hasn't hurt you in any way, has he?"

A genuine smile stretches across Stefan's face for the first time in a long while.

It's short-lived, quickly disappearing when a familiar voice calls out, "Well, what do we have here?"