8 ¦ Interlude : Question

When we arrived at the bakery, I unbuckled my seatbelt and was halfway out the door when Ni-ki grabbed my arm and somehow softly pulled me back into my seat. Contrary to what I'd expected his touch wasn't cold – it was scorching, and it burned through my skin and muscles until I felt it's warmth in the pit of my stomach. 

It was like the other day in our dance studio when he brushed my hair out of my face.

I swallowed hard. Stupid hormones. 

"What is it now? Didn't you say we were already late? Plus, they're closing soon."

"You can't go out like that. Not without your coat, which by the way is still wet plus your clothes are still wet too." The tiniest hint of disapproval etched into the corners of his mouth. 

"And?" I asked, clearly confused. I was wearing a jeans and a long arm shirt, nothing scandalous, since I took off my coat when I entered the car.

Ni-ki inclined his head toward my chest. I glanced down and let out a horrified yelp. Because my shirt? White. Wet. Transparent. Not even a little transparent, like you could kind of see my bra outline if you looked hard enough. THIS was a full-on see-through. Green lace Bra, hard nipples – thanks, warm air conditioning – the whole shebang.

I crossed my arms over my chest, my face flaming the same color as my earrings... red.

"Was it like this the entire time?"

"Yup."

"You could've told me, you know."

"I did tell you. Just now."

I wanted to strangle him. I really did. And I wasn't even a violent person, but when it came to him, hell I was. I don't know how but Ni-ki provoked my dark side.

I exhaled a sharp breath and dropped my arms by instinct, forgetting about my damn see-through shirt until Ni-ki's gaze flicked down to my chest again.

The flaming cheeks returned, but I was sick of sitting here arguing with him. Not like we do it every time we see each other.

Sweet & Chique Factory closed in ten minutes and the clock was still ticking. Maybe it was the man, the weather, or the hour and a half I'd spent under the roof of the school, but my frustration spilled out before I could stop it.

"Instead of being an asshole and starring at my breasts, can you lend me your coat? Since mine is still wet and because I really want to get this cake and go home. I'll turn crazy if I have to spend more minutes in this car. Next to you."

My words hung in the air while I clapped a hand over my mouth, horrified and realizing what I just did. Did I just utter the word 'breasts' to Nishimura Riki and accuse him of ogling me? And call him an asshole in the same sentence? Wow we're doing progress.

Dear God, if you smile me with lightning right now, I won't be mad. Promise.

Ni-ki's eyes narrowed a fraction of an inch. It ranked in the top five most emotional responses I'd pulled out of him in al those years, so that was something.

"Trust me, I was not staring at your breasts," he said, his voice frigid enough to transform the lingering drops of moisture on my skin into icicles. "You're not my type, even if you weren't Jay and Sunghoon's little sister." Ouch.

I wasn't interested in Ni-ki either, but no girl enjoys being dismissed so easily by a member of the opposite gender.

"Whatever. There's no need to be a jerk about it," I muttered. "Look, S&C closes in two minutes. Just let me borrow your coat, and we can get out of here."

I already paid online, so all I needed to do was to grab the cake.

A muscle tickled in his jaw. "I'll get it. You're not leaving the car dressed like that, even wearing my coat."

Ni-ki yanked an umbrella out from beneath his seat and exited the car in one fluid motion. He moved like a panther, all coiled grace and laser intensity. If he wanted, he could make a killing as a runway model, though I doubted he'd ever do anything so "gauche".

He returned less than five minutes later with Sweet & Chique Factory's signature Lila-and-baby-blue cake box tucked beneath one arm. He dumped it in my lap, snapped his umbrella closed and finally reversed out of the parking spot without so much as blinking.

"Do you ever smile?" I asked, peeking inside the box to make sure they hadn't messed up the order. Nope. One Kiss by Lemon, coming right up. "It might help you with you condition."

"What condition?" Ni-ki sounded bored. When did he not?

"Stick-up-the-assitis condition." I'd already called the man asshole so what was one more insult?

I might have imagined it, but I thought I saw his mouth twitch before he responded with a bland, "No. The condition is chronic."

I blinked; my hands froze while my jaw unhinged. I took me a double take at him to finally respond. "D-did you make a joke?"

"Explain why you were still in the school on a Friday afternoon in the first place." Ni-ki evaded my question and changed subjects so quick I had whiplash.

He made a fucking joke in my presence.

I wouldn't have believed it had I nod seen it with my own eyes and heard it with my own ears. "I was in the library and forgot the- "

"Spare me the details. I don't care."

A low growl slipped from my throat. "Why are you here? Didn't know you were the chauffeur type of person."

"I was in the area, and you're their little sister. If you died, it be a bore to hang out with them."

Ni-ki FINALLY pulled up in front of my house. I could see the boys laughing and having fun in the living room.

"They got the worst taste in friends," I bit out. "I don't know what they see in you. I hope that stick in your fucking ass punctures a vital organ." 

Then, because I'd been raised with manners, unlike him, I added, "Thank you for the ride."

I huffed out of the car. The snow that turned into rain had slowed to a drizzle. 

I'd shower, change then catch the last half of the film they were watching. 

Hopefully, Sunghoon wouldn't give me shit for getting stranded or being late because I wasn't in the mood right now.

I never stayed angry for long, but right now, my blood simmered, and I wanted to punch Ni-ki in his perfect face. He was so cold and arrogant and...and...him. It was infuriating.

Unfortunately, I have to deal with his presence a lot since the boys hang out a lot at our place.

Why dear god? Why do I have such a gorgeous enemy?