43 ¦ Hold Back The River

When Ni-ki saw tears forming in my eyes, his expression changed. His gaze softened and he reached out his hand to me. 

"Sweetheart..." He started, but I got up from the bed so that I was facing him, but the bed still separated us. 

"No. Don't call me sweetheart." By him giving me that nickname, we were somehow closer. But I wanted to distance myself from him at that moment, so he shouldn't call me that either. Ni-ki looked at me hurt, but finally regained his composure.

"Did he...do it?" I saw Ni-ki's Adam's apple move as he swallowed. Should I tell him what happened? 

"Why didn't you tell me what he was going to do?" I asked instead of answering him. I quickly wiped away a tear that had managed to escape from my eye. I tried to look up and blink quickly to make the tears disappear. 

"I tried." He said and took a step around the bed. In response, I took a step back. 

"No you didn't. All this time, all you've told me is that he's bad for me. What reason did I have to believe you? If you had told me what exactly he was up to, I would have believed you!" My voice was all shaky, as was my whole body. My fingertips were cold. 

"Oh yeah, would you have believed me?" He frowned and looked at me meaningfully. I turned my head away briefly to escape his gaze. 

"I definitely would have believed you more! It sounded to me like you made it all up to break us up." He took another step closer and slowly I had no room to step back.

"God, sweetheart... I-" He interrupted himself when I looked at him sourly. Then he rolled his eyes and sighed. "Camila..." He started again. "I just couldn't tell you." I just shook my head. 

Even now, he can't tell me everything.

"Tell me why you weren't allowed to say anything! Or did you just want to see me heart-broken?!" My voice grew louder with each word and in the end it sounded hoarse. 

Ni-ki put his hands over his face and sighed softly, then looked at me again. "I'll tell you...But let's sit down for this first." 

At first I wanted to protest, because I didn't want to sit down and calm down. If I was angry, at least I wasn't crying. But finally I wanted to know why he couldn't tell me, so I sat down on the edge of the bed and he sat down next to me. 

"Yeonjun used to be one of my friends after all..." He began as he watched me closely, almost studying my face. Probably to see my reaction to what followed. "And we used to be very stupid. And played games... with girls." I waited for him to continue speaking. "The same thing Yeonjun was going to do with you, we all used to do. Then the others would always pick a girl for each guy to do it with. You couldn't tell anyone about the games, we swore. I... I've done it with a couple of girls, too." 

My facial expression changed from one second to the next. My mouth dropped open in shock and I jumped off the bed to be as far away from him as possible. "You...you...did it too?!" I whispered in horror.