CH 27: Memory loss

"One chapter is all I ask, a chapter of our lives together. A chapter I could re-read night after night. A chapter that would bring those precious memories back."

-Aliah

~~~~~~

Aliah's POV

"Aliah.. Aliah.. open your eyes for me!"

I slowly opened my eyes, letting my senses do their job. I was staring at the light fitting on the white-quite high ceiling. Even though the ceiling of my apartment was also quite high and white, I knew that I wasn't in bed at home. I could also hear a 'beep' somewhere over my head of what I took to be a heart monitor. The bright morning light that was shining through the window made me close my eyes again. Now I knew for sure I wasn't home. My room is dark and depressing, there's no way so much light can shine through my woolen curtains. I could also smell the typical sweet aroma of hospital disinfectant.

"Good girl."

"Now do you know where you are?"

I turned my head slightly around so I was facing the person that was asking me a ton of questions with her shrilly annoying voice. A voice I had never heard before-so high and powerful. She was standing besides my bed dressed in a white tunic.

"Aliah? Aliah! Thank God!" Someone yelled from the other direction, it sounded familiar, but I was incapable of identifying it. I turned my head to the other side and looked at the long, muscular posture that was standing next to my bed.

"Saïd?" I whispered quietly. It sounded like I was yelling but they could barely hear me.

"What's that honey?" The annoying voice asked. She grabbed her tiny flashlight out of her frontpocket and shone it into my eyes, going from left to right and from right to left.

"Do you know your name?"

Of course I do..

"Aliah" I responded softly.

"Good good" she responded.

"You're in the hospital, do you remember what happened?"

I looked at all the wires and tubes attached to my arms and the rest of my body. I started panicking inside at the thought of not knowing what had happened and where I specifically was. What happened?

"What happened?" I groaned. My mouth was dry. Eventhough water was all I wanted, getting answers was more important.

"Don't you remember?"

I wet my lips with the tip of my tongue and tried to speak a full sentence. "No.. I-.. I was baking.. I think.. I don't know I don't remember". I started panicking and I felt that my eyes were filling up with tears.

"Take it easy okay, I want you to nod if you feel this." She walked over to the end of the bed and started pressing her pen against my left foot.

I nodded.

She did the same with my right foot.

I nodded again.

She then walked back to where she was standing before and continued the tests, "can you lift your right hand and touch your nose?"