CH 31: Home sweet home

"Don't let the past rule your future."

-Aliah

~~~~

Aliah's POV

"Hey!" I greeted when I entered Harris' hospital room.

I was so nervous. I didn't know if he said what he said only to tease me or because he wanted more. I wasn't ready for that. I mean c'mon it's only been 2 days. Slow down.

"Oh hey, what did the doctor say?" He asked after greeting me with a kiss.

"Euhm yeah I'm good, I can go home tomorrow but-" I stopped because I noticed that Harris was packing.

"-why are you packing?" I finished.

"Because I can go home today, I signed the papers and all."

That was awesome.

But.. he didn't seem excited to go home.

"What's wrong?" I asked sitting down on the opposite side of the bed.

He had placed his luggage on the bed and was packing all his stuff.

He stopped packing and looked at me. He made direct eye contact with me and didn't deviate.

I could see in his eyes that he was scared, anxious.

He spoke gently, "I don't know, I know I'll be getting flashbacks from that night. I- I just don't know"

He continued packing and eventually closed his luggage, staring at it for a few seconds.

"I'll be fine." he added.

"Come here" I jumped up and walked straight to him. I threw my arms around his neck and hugged him tightly. I let go and made eye contact with him once again.

"You don't have to go through that alone, you can stay in my room until tomorrow and then we can go home together." I said.

He curved his lips into a smile and nodded. "What did I ever do to deserve you?" He placed his chin on my head and hugged me.

..

We were back in my room. Harris was doing business stuff on his laptop and I was reading a book. He needed to be back at work by monday. The company needed their CEO.

I saw him rubbing his temples with his knuckle, either out of frustration or he was having a headache.

I got out of bed and closed his laptop.

"Aliah, what are you doing? I have so much work to do." he groaned, slightly annoyed.

"Take a break." I smiled.

"No, I need to keep a company running for-.." he replied opening his laptop again.

I was a bit shocked by his response. He certainly acted differently when he was working. The stress was getting to him... so I get it. I knew by looking at him working on his laptop, that he was the type of person to get to work at the crack of dawn and stay late into the night. Even a blind person could see that Harris was a workaholic.

My smile faded away and I got back in bed.

"I'm sorry, it's just the stress." he closed his laptop and sat down on the bed. He looked at me, squeezed my hand and smiled.

I didn't respond. Why? Because I used to know a guy that acted like that. First he was all kind and loving, an hour later he would be angry and yelling. Followed by him apologizing for his behaviour. That unfortunately started with yelling but ended with assault.