CH 40: Saïd meets Flora

"Well, look who I ran into," crowed Coincidence.

"Please," flirted Fate, "this was meant to be."

~~~~

Aliah's POV

"So what are you doing here?" I asked, trying to break the awkward silence.

"Can't I visit my sister?" He responded while looking around. He was acting like this was the first time he was seeing the apartment from the inside. Or he was just avoiding eye contact.

He wasn't just 'visiting', he had his large backpack with him.

"Yeah of course but-" I tried to understand, but he interrupted me.

"-can I crash here?" Saïd asked still not making any eye contact with me or Harris.

"Of course bro." Harris responded before I could even say something back.

What's up with people interrupting and responding for me today. Perhaps I shouldn't say anything at all.

"Cool." My brother replied and made his way to the guest room, leaving me to face the questions about him alone.

Like what was he doing here at this hour? Was something wrong? I thought he was out of town for work?

We both followed him with our eyes until he had closed the door behind him.

Harris raised his eyebrows, "You have a weird brother you know." He whispered so Saïd wouldn't hear him.

"I guess it runs in the family." He added and smiled.

I rolled my eyes at his response and sighed.

Gosh how dramatic is my life.

Saïd's POV

How can I tell her that I got fired, kicked out of my place and haven't got a single cent to pay for my bills. She'll be so disappointed in me. I had my life figured out but I fucked up and it's all Natasha's fault.

Aliah is so happy, how could I possibly ruin that?

I used to live in Philadelphia for college but moved back to New York so I could pay for Aliah's hospital bills. I got kicked out of my flat a few hours ago for not paying this months rent.

I actually believed that karma was getting me back for the fight that made Natasha lose the baby.

"Morning." Harris greeted after I had left the guest room. He was standing in the kitchen besides Aliah, acting weird as usual.

"Juice?" Aliah offered.

"Sure" I responded "And stop being so weird, weirdos." I added and sat down.

"We're not be-"

"-being weird" Aliah said finishing Harris' sentence.

He gave Aliah a weird look before joining me at the table.

"Anyway, so how long are you staying?" He hesitated.

"Want me gone already?" I responded raising my eyebrows.

"No.. no what.. no.. just wondering you know."

"Chill bro, I'm going home today. Just needed to talk to my sister." I said taking a sip.

"Sure." He stood up and gathered his stuff.

He approached Aliah and said, "You can take today off if you want to."