Chapter Twenty-Nine (Part One)

Syllable For The Day - 'Selflessness'

-----

KIERA'S POV

I didn't remember how had I fell asleep but the last thing I remembered seeing, was white falling snow on the green grass.

When I woke up, I saw Alan was on the ground. I had held his hand in mine, in a tight hold. All of my heart had soared looking at his sincerity towards our friendship.

At that moment, I wanted to see, to what extent he could go for the person he loved if only for our friendship he could cross so many boundaries. I wanted that person to be me.

As I remembered how many boundaries I had crossed, I couldn't stop but feel special and also feel guilty. I had pushed him when he wasn't ready. I should apologize when I could.

I can't believe that I was unthoughtful about it and he didn't say anything. He was a soft-hearted man.

I caressed Alan's hair with a small smile on my face. When the realisation hit me, I pulled back. I was violating more of his boundaries. I had to shake Alan for a while to get him to wake up. For how much he valued sleep, I was glad that he had slept well, even in an uncomfortable position.

When he opened his eyes, they were rather very expressive. I could clearly see the worry he had for me. I didn't want to put him through any more worry because I didn't have it in me to be cheerful and provide him relief also I didn't want him to see me in this condition, more than he already did.

I asked him to leave me alone so I can take some time to sort myself out. I didn't wait for him to leave or left any space for any more words. I pulled up the comforter and covered myself till the top and turned away from him.

Once I heard the door close, tears streamed down the side of my eyes falling on my pillow.

The feeling of warm tears flowing down my eyes was somehow soothing my pain and that's why I let them keep on flowing until all I saw was darkness. 

-----

ALAN'S POV 

It was past noon and Kiera hadn't left her room or made any requests either. I was supposed to go to the office but my entire mind was focused on Kiera and I couldn't leave. I decided to talk to Alex and see what could be done.

"Alex," I called out as I knocked on his door. He pulled the door open and we both walked in. He looked at me, more like my attire, in a questionable manner.

"Yes? Aren't you supposed to be ready to leave? The office has holidays, not the CEOs." He questioned and joked. My thoughts contorted in a confusion, not knowing how to talk to him. 

"I know. Let's us rest, too." I told him, straightforwardly, thinking this would be the best way to break it out. He looked up at me with shock. I was a happy workaholic who never asked for rest. It was indeed normal that he was shocked.

"We recently had a trip, Alan. We can't afford to take another holiday. There are upcoming projects that need to have our inputs." He was now very serious. His work was his God and I was interfering in between.

"I know but Era needs me," I said to him. The shock was evident in my eyes because this was the first time I had spoke my mind to Alex. 

"Alan, this is the first time you ever spoke what you wanted to say." He was happy and I could hear that little happy jingle in his tone.