Chapter Twelve

Syllable For The Day - 'Try'

-----

ALAN'S POV

Grace had decided that we take a holiday and even I readily agreed to her. I needed time out because of too much extortion on my personal boundaries.

I quickly agreed.

Only to know, Grace had made sure that the Kiera was accompanied by us.

If only I had known earlier.

"Grace, I should stay for work," I said to Grace who was packing. She halted her action and gave me one hard look. I was really scared for a moment but my face would never give it away.

"If you try to say it again, I might have to use a few cards that I have in my hand." She muttered and closed the flap of her suitcase, rather dramatically, in my opinion.

"My free will," I muttered and she gave me a look and just sighed.

"Alan, you need this trip. I'm telling you. Listen to me carefully. I have arranged this trip for many reasons, one of them is you. Go and call Billy and she'll give you the answer." She said and went to the kid's room, leaving me alone.

I walked to my room and contemplated her words. I really didn't understand what did she mean by me "needing" this trip.

I took my phone out and called Billy.

"I was waiting. What took you so long, old man?" That was her first comment before I could utter a word. Anyways, it wasn't like I was going to say the first words.

"Speak," I told her and she sighed.

"Some people really don't change. Anyways, my time isn't free for me to wait for your further replies. Listen to me." She said and slurped in my ear. I felt cringe pass through my body.

"Did you answer to make me hear that?!" I almost screeched still feeling itchy sensation all over my body.

"Ah, sorry. It really wasn't my intention. Well, the main point. I and Grace had a conversation and I agree with her. We think Kiera might be able to help you with your issues about touch and proximity." She said and my mouth hung open.

Luckily I was in my room so I didn't have to mask my emotions.

"What?" I had to word out because I needed to know what I heard was right or not.

"Alan, think. Except for Kiera, who could ever cross your boundaries? That too so drastically. She can help you." I heard her and she did make a point but I just didn't want to admit.

"She doesn't know," I answered wanting her to stop mentioning this anymore.

"That's the best thing. She doesn't know and she doesn't have to. If she doesn't know, then she isn't trying to help you, right?" This woman was really a psychologist. She was playing mind games with me.

"Alan, we both know what your exact problem is. Only because you won't accept them in front of me, won't make them go away. You have to try it. It won't change anything if you don't want to try or you won't believe things can change. If you really want to overcome it, just try, a little will be fine." She said and I knew she was being sincere, but how was I supposed to cross the bridge.

"I can't cross this bridge," I muttered sitting down, more like falling on the bed because of the sudden loss of my strength.

"Alan, you don't have to cross, just take a step. And step by step, you won't know when you crossed the bridge." Her words were true but I didn't know how to walk on it, yet.