Chapter Twenty-Three

Syllable For The Day - 'Care'

-----

KIERA'S POV

After making Alan finish his soup and take his meds, I took all the tray and came down. I knew he didn't like it dirty so I wanted to keep it clean.

I met Grace in the kitchen. I kept the trays in the sink and washed my hands clean.

"How is Alan now?" She asked and I gave her a small affirming nod.

"He is doing better than in the morning. I'm still worried that the fever might go up in the night." I worded out my concern and she nodded.

"I wanted to visit Alan but Tristan is very sensitive right now. His fever came down, but still, he probably has stomach pain because he kept crying every once in a while." She said and took a look at Tristan in her arms.

"You gave him the syrup for a stomach ache?" She nodded.

"If it doesn't lessen by tomorrow, we'll take him to doctor. It could be infectious if not taken care of." I told and she immediately agreed to my statement.

"Do you want me to look after him for the night?" I asked her and she just smiled at me.

"Kiera, you're already worried about Alan. You take care of him. I and Alex will look after Tristan. I know you're the caretaker, but we are parents. We also have some duties, right?" She said and laughed.

"You must see your face. You're seriously ruined for Alan." She said and I had no expressions on my face since I was so shocked because of the change of subject.

"How did we end up on me being "ruined" for Alan from Tristan's health?" I asked and shrugged and she just giggled.

"Since your face can't stop showing worrying expressions, I had to. You just go to Alan, right now. Okay? You taking care of him will be more than enough for me." She said sincerely without an ounce of taunt or hidden motive.

"Grace, I always wondered, why did you care for Alan this much? It almost feels like you're repaying him for something." I said and her happy face had turned sad.

"Maybe this is repaying, but I can never repay him. No amount of effort can make me repay to him." She chuckled but didn't look like she was happy.

"Is it that big?" I asked curiously.

"As big as life. Maybe one day you'll know. I don't want to scar your mind now." She gave me one small smile and left and I didn't stop her.

How much baggage does Alan carry?

The question was small but indeed heavy. I wanted to open all the pages written in Alan's life.

I walked up to Alan's room. I was to knock but decided against it. Since Alan barely got sleep, if he was asleep, I would disturb him.

I slowly opened the door. I was amazed as I felt that I was in some other room, altogether.

The roof was changed and I could see the stars in the sky. I wondered why he couldn't sleep even after watching this peaceful scenario.

I went closer only to see tears flowing down his closed eyes. He was crying in his sleep.

Looking at him crying, I had no clue that a lone tear, just like Alan, had escaped my eye.

He cried so silently in his sleep. I felt so helpless. I couldn't wake him, couldn't understand his pain, his fears.

I couldn't understand him at all.