2.6 || Girl Crush

'If somehow i find a way to breathe again, let it be with you.'

November 2nd 2020

It was raining hard , and the only way she could get from getting soaked from her car to the door was running. She gathered her stuff, putting it in her bag, almost rushing. She quickly got out of the car and ran to the front of the building, still getting soaked. She locked her car and walked inside, then up the flights of stairs to the top floor.

Getting the apartment key from her key ring, she unlocked the door, being greeted by her cat. The girl kicked her shoes off and shoved them into the closet by the door. Throwing her bag onto the couch, she went to her room to change immediately.

"Hey Skylar, you're smart-" Liah said and walked in on her changing. Staring at her cracked screen, she didn't pay attention to her changing.

"As flattering as that is, it's sadly not accurate." She forced out a laugh and looked at her. "I can try and help as best as I can." She put shorts on, throwing her wet clothes in her laundry basket on the floor of her closet.

"How much persuasion would it take for me to get you to come to L.A. with me?" She smiled up at her and put her phone on the bed.

"Are you trying to make me cry? I loved L.A. don't get me wrong, but i don't think i could go back. I miss Colson but i think making new roots here is best. Why would you wanna go back to L.A. anyways?" She sat at the foot of her bed and looked at liah's phone seeing her brother's picture and a link to a website for concert tickets.

"My brother wanted me to come see him for his talent show. You don't have to come, I just didn't want to go and not have invited you." She took her phone before she could ask about the link and showed her the flyer he sent her.

"You mean he's putting his voice to use instead of the shower. That's so cool."

Skylar smiled softly and put her damp hair in a ponytail as best as she could. She watched as Liah smiled and kept texting her brother, and looked at her hands in her lap. Liah got up from her bed and left the room, mumbling that she didn't have to come, and closed the small bedroom door. She walked to her room down the hall and closed her door behind her. Now laying on her bed Liah watched the rain hit her window, hearing the wind crash up against the glass.

As lightning flashed through the night sky, Liah continued to stare out of the window by her bed. The rain that was on the glass made shadows on her carpet. Holding onto her stuffed animal, she closed her eye's. Hearing a heartbeat of someone or something, in her mind. The feeling of being held made her stomach flip, and made her eyes water. A year slipped out, which rested on the corner of her eye.

~~~~~~

Skylar sat in her car in the driveway of a house she was done cleaning, resting her head on the steering wheel of her car. She banged it against the wheel, hitting the horn making her jump and sit up straight. She put her phone on charge and started her car, backing out of the driveway. She turned on the radio and just listened to the familiar voice on the local station. Glancing at her phone and the caller ID she answered quickly.

"Colson!" She said excitedly still focused on the road in front of her.

"Hey. it's been a while since we actually called! I miss my best friend." He couldn't see her face but he could see the smile spread across her face and smiled as well.

"It has. You and your girlfriend should come up to visit sometime we miss you so much." Skylar turned her signal on, turning onto the actual highway to go home.

"I was actually hoping you would come with Liah to see her brother."

"She asked me last night. I personally don't want to come back to California so soon, like I just moved out a year ago."

"Then maybe consider your crush's family in this. If not for you, do it for her... She's going through a lot still. I think this would be really good for her." He said calmly, now silent on both ends, it sat in Skylars mind, what she wanted to do.

"If i say yes... i don't want Billie to know we're there. I know she'll wanna see her if she's home, and that'll make Liah want to stay longer than i can take off." Hating to bring up her name into the conversation, Colson rolled his eyes and nodded.

"I can't promise she won't find out, cause her family is also invited. Plus if don't tell her i break the friendship again, that i just got fixed. I fixed it cause Liah loved Billie... yknow?"

"Billie was over protective and was lying to Liah. If anything i'm protecting Liah from hurting herself again."

"She's twenty, Sky. I think it's time you let go of thinking she's gonna come around to liking you-" He got cut off by another call and he groaned. "I gotta go. I love you, okay?" He reassured her after hanging up that he still cared about her which made her feel better

"She's not my crush." She mumbled and looked at the lockscreen on her phone of her and Liah, on new years. Cake was spread across both of their faces while Skylar had a wine bottle in her hands.

It was the small things that made her think that maybe she could top Billie one day. She had hope but deep down she knew it wouldn't work. She knew Liah was in-love with her but she always struggled to admit it herself.