4.4 || Just Good Friends

"So many times I needed you.
So many times you needed
someone else."

"What if one day I see her and I say something stupid. Like, I say dumb shit but it's her." Billie looked at Claudia and took a big bite of her food so she could stop talking.

"This girl that you broke up with. I met her, she's really nice. The way you both looked at eachother proves that you still love her, yes?" Claudia raised her eyebrows a bit and watched her eat nervously.

"I don't know, maybe." Her mouth was full and she took a drink of water after she swallowed.

"God you're hopeless" The brunette sighed and shook her head. "You won't say something so profound that it drives her away. You're you. People love you."

"No- they love what they see. They don't know me personally." Billie crossed her arms and smiled at herself. "I'm amazing why wouldn't people love me."

"You're making me not want to eat with you." Finneas butted in and scoffed a bit. "Claudia is right though."

She looked at her brother for a second and lightly kicked his leg. As much as she hated not knowing something, let alone her feelings, she hated having two people see something she didn't. The three of them carried on their dinner and their conversation, talking about something else.
~~~~~~

"What made you sad." Liah looked at her and saw her shaking too.

"I wanted you to say you'd wanna come back with me to LA... I don't know why but it hurt a little, and then you saying I could pick up the rest of my stuff-" She cut herself off and went to walk it of the ally. "It's stupid I don't even know what I was thinking."

Billie went back to the night her and Claudia talked about this, about her saying something stupid to Liah. The night she wasn't even sure if she ever stopped loving the girl in front of her.

"You want me to come back? Like... move back?"

"Yes? No? I don't know! You have a life here now, I can't take you from that." She sighed and sat on a half broken crate on the ground.

"This is probably a really bad thing to say... but you were my life in LA. We broke up and Skylar wanted me to move in with her. I left cause you left. I have people here that love me." Liah watched as she looked even sadder. The look of her heart aching in her chest.

The two didn't say anything for the longest time, the sound of cars passing and car horns in the background. When they exhaled their breaths lingered together in the air, mixing up in the ice cold air. Either of them were sniffling, on the brink of freezing.

"I messed up... really badly. I made a mistake and I hurt you, and I'm really sorry. Can you forgive me?" Billie finally spoke out and looked at Liah, who was sitting in the ground next to a dumpster.

"This isn't the greatest place for an apology but I'll take it. You're forgiven Eilish." She smiled and got up, reaching her hand out for her to grab.

"You're not gonna give me a lecture?" She took Liah's hand and stood up, brushing off her butt and hands.

"You're not the only one who bettered themselves."

She started walking away and linked their arms together, walking down the sidewalk again. The streetlights lit up the way as they walked back to the hotel Billie was staying in. The moment seized when Liah got a text from her co-workers group chat. She tried ignoring it but they all wanted her at the same time, which was poorly timed. They walked into a coffee shop that was still opened and sat down, taking the warmth to their advantage.

Jace: "has anyone talked to Liah?"

Claire: "No. She wasn't at work today, she said she needed to meet someone."

Cameron: "Mysterious."

Cameron: "Yo Jace, your girl is mysteriously hiding away."

Jace: "Shut up dude."

Claire: "Cam, I've never wanted to hit you more."

Liah: "Oh my god, what are you guys talking about?"

Liah: "I'm fine. I'm not hiding out, just out with somone."

Cameron: "Skylar?!"

Liah: "No. Billie."

Claire: "Billie?! Eilish? Your ex? Billie Eilish?!!"

Liah: "My ex. Billie. Yes."

Cameron: "Jace got real quite with that one.."

Claire: "I'm gonna smack you Cameron."

"I'm sorry... my friends are ass holes. I told them i was busy and yet they interrupted." She sighed and out her phone down.

"Don't worry about it. It's okay. While you were texting them I was texting Drew and Zoe, so it's fine." Billie smiled and pointed at warm tea in-front of her.

"And you got warm drinks. It's like you read my mind." She laughed a bit and out sugar and honey in, before taking a sip.

"What can I say." She flicked her hair with her hand and gave her a smug smile.

"You're getting cocky, you know how you get when you're cocky." Liah smiled and brought the cup to her lips. When she went to take a sip her phone vibrated, and she groaned.

"Here I got it." Billie grabbed her phone and answered it. "Hello, Liah's phone."

"Li- oh. Who's this?" The guy asked sounding a bit upset.

"I'm a friend. Liah's busy right now, can I give her a message?" A smile painted on her face as she got a pen from the table and a napkin.

"Tell Liah, that her boyfriend needs to talk to her." He hung up the phone and left Billie in shock at the word he made sure she heard.

She moved the phone away from her ear and looked at the screen. The screen had her and three other people as the Lock Screen, which was once a photo of her and Liah.

"Who was it? Was it Claire? She's always worried about me for no-"

"It was your boyfriend."

Liah chocked on the drink she was taking while she talked and sat the cup on the table, catching her breath. When she finally got enough wind, she questioned her and showed her the number.

"Him? Jace? No he's not my boyfriend. Yeah he likes me and stuff but-" She coughed again and took her fist to help her. "-He's not my boyfriend. We're just good friends. We went one one date and I told him I didn't think we could be anything more."

"That's not what he thinks apparently."