𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐥𝐢𝐞 𝐖𝐞𝐬𝐭 / 𝐏𝐎𝐕

Today I have to be productive, even if it's Saturday.

I wake up around 10 am, I go to the kitchen and gulp down a full glass of water, smoking always dries my mouth too much.

Yesterday it was all very strange, but also fun. I don't know what to think about what happened with Billie, but I don't want to make such a big deal out of it.

Today I will focus on looking for a job. My car should arrive in the middle of the other week so I have to keep walking for now.

I decided to make a coffee and start searching on the internet for anything that is close to me. I need an urgent but not necessarily definitive job.

I spend about two hours searching and get frustrated when I can't find anything good. Also, my stomach warns me that it is a good time to eat something.

While I decide what I'm going to make, I call my best friend from New York, Elena.

After a few seconds of ringing, she picks up. "Heeeeey, bitch!" She screams and laughs.

"Heeeeeey, gorgeous!" I laugh with her.

"Oh my good lord, how I missed you babe" She sights and I feel a little sad.

"I know, I missed you too" I say while making some avocado toast.

"How is Cali treating you?" She asks and I hear some soft jazz music playing in the background.

"It's okay. The weather is great here and the house is so cute! Did you see the pics I sent you?" I ask her, putting the bread on the toaster.

"Yes! It looks so cosy. How's your mom?" She always asks for her cause they both had a very close relationship.

Elena lost her mother a few years before we met in New York, and since then we're inseparable, until now.

"She is good, working as usual. How is your dad? Still not talking?"

"If he could ignore me for a lifetime... sure he would, but my grandma would kill him", She laughs and I follow her.

"I hope he's not angry for too long. It's a little ridiculous, you're old enough" The toasts jump and I put them on a plate to distribute the avocado that I have already mashed. And I make myself some tea. I'm a sucker for warm things.

"I don't think it was that specifically, I think it was because I had hidden it from him" I nod at her words but I know she can't see me, so I speak.

"Yeah, you're right. But in that case, he can't be angry for much longer" I grab my toast and my tea and head to the backyard, my favourite place.

"I hope so Charlie, it sucks that he doesn't talk to me"

"He will talk to you, El. I promise" She sighs. I take a bite of my toast and we keep silent for a few seconds.

"In other news... I told Tyler about work" She says kinda hesitantly.

I sit up straight in the chair in amazement, "What the fuck did he say?"

"Actually ... he took it very well" After those words I relax and lie down again.

These two have been in a relationship for almost a year now and Elena has never told him in great detail what she -well both of us- did at work.

"Really? I thought he was going to flip out" I laugh and she does the same.

"Me too, girl" She starts talking to someone else, so I take the chance to keep eating my toast.

"Hey, C? Did you get a job already?" She asks me and I say: "Nope".

"Do you remember my cousin, Leyla? The one who came to spend the holidays once?"

"Yes, I remember her..." I say, sipping my tea.

"And you remember her friend... Sophia, was her name?"

"Sophie" I laugh at her bad memory, we spent like two months with her cousin and her friend.

"Right, my bad. Well, she lives in Los Angeles, you know?" I didn't know that I tell her.

"Well, she does" She laughs, "I think she works near the neighbourhood you live in. Is Highland Park, right? I spoke with Leyla about this but I don't remember much now" she giggles.

"Yes, it is. What about it?" I respond quickly because I want to know how everything is related, I'm impatient.

"I'll send her your number so she can contact you and get you a job where she works". I roll my eyes.

"I think it would be too much to ask her for something like that. I don't even know her that well, she's your cousin's friend... that you see practically once a year" I don't like to take advantage of people.

"You knew that she had a crush on you the last summer we saw her, right?" My mouth drops at her words and I just laugh.

"It was so cute of her that she never told you because she thought you were straight, you? straight? ha!" She laughs like a maniac.

"Then with more reason no, El. How awkward" Even now I start to feel uncomfortable.

"Well, fuck it. I already sent her your number!" I facepalm myself.

"You fucking bitch! I hate you!" I replied in a joking tone.

"You love me and you knoooow it" She says in a singing voice, "What's wrong with a little favour? If it doesn't work out, there is always the option of going back to your old job, you know? You could do it anywhere. I heard that in Los Angeles you earn very well"

"I'm not sure if I want to go back to do that... I enjoyed doing it but I didn't like that environment at all" And I've really turned the matter around.

"I feel you, sis. Let me ask some contacts around here, if there is something good that you like you could consider it, or maybe see how it goes with Sophia first".

"Sophie," I corrected her. "Ok, fine. I'll consider it"

"Ok, ok. Well, I have to go now, duty calls. Text me if you need anything and if it's very urgent, call me bitch!" She yells at the end.

"Yes bitch, i'll call you! Take care. Love you" I say to my best friend.

"Love you babe, take care. Bye" And the calls disconnect.

Again this damn feeling of emptiness fills me. It always happens to me after talking to my favourite people. Why do I have to be away from them?

But I know one thing. I'm not going to start smoking now. I have very clear rules regarding smoking:

1. Never before 6 pm, a bitch has to be productive.

2. Max 3 times per week, that way I choose the moment when I need it most, not every time something bad or stressful happens to me.

3. Never ever with strangers!

𝐓𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐞, 𝐫𝐮𝐥𝐞 𝐧𝐮𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐨 𝐦𝐚𝐤𝐞𝐬 𝐢𝐭 𝐢𝐦𝐩𝐨𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐛𝐥𝐞 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐦𝐞. 𝐖𝐡𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫.