Chapter Thirty-Three

Lips

Salem pressed his forehead to mine, our noses brushed together lightly. I wanted to grab him and bring him even closer. I needed him closer. I thought my heart was going to explode.

His lips brushed against mine lightly, I couldn't take it anymore but I didn't want to give myself away. My entire body stilled. I froze. His lips were suddenly on mine and I gasped against him. Something in me stirred. He ran his hand further into my hair and held me tightly.
I placed my hands on his chest, fingertips feeling every part. Our lips moved together quickly now, desperately. This was better than I ever could've imagined. Was kissing always like this!?

I ran my hands up, feeling his collarbone and moving to his neck. I wanted to feel every inch of him. I stopped at his face, grabbing harshly with a new instinct. He wrapped an arm around my waist, pulling me to him even closer. I parted my mouth and let my tongue flick across his lip. I learned that from a book. I wanted to try. To my delight, I earned a sharp gasp from him. I wanted to hear more. I built up the courage and parted my mouth more. He did the same, our tongues meeting. An unknown sound left me, taking me by surprise. It seemed to fuel him. He grabbed me harder, gripping my shirt. I was holding him so desperately. I needed more. I didn't know what it was, but I needed it. He slowed down, beginning to pull away. No no no!

We separated our lips, foreheads still pressed together. I realized now how hard we were both breathing. His eyes were shut tight but I couldn't look away from him. We stayed silent, breathing heavily with our bodies still pressed together.

He opened his eyes slowly and I gasped. One eye was bright yellow, the other his usual deep green.

"Fuck" he growled, suddenly grabbing my face and crashing his lips back to mine. Relief filled me. I didn't know why. My heart was soaring.

Suddenly the doorknob rattled. My entire body froze and dread filled me.

"Princess?" There was a gruff voice on the other side. My stand in. Oh god my stand in.

Salem seemed unfazed, grinning against my lips. He kissed me slowly, pulling back. He nodded towards the door while I stayed glued to this spot.

"He doesn't have a key and I doubt he heard anything" he whispered slowly and I nodded, staring at him with wide eyes. My lips were tingling.

I forced my feet to move, opening the door. A man in his mid 40s stood before me, he bowed his head.

"I came to introduce myself. My name is Kurt. I'll be your stand in." He spoke plainly and I nodded, giving a polite smile.

"Nice to meet you. I'm going to bed." I spoke curtly and he nodded.

"I reside in a room close by. I'll be back in the morning" I could barely focus on what he was saying. I just nodded and shut the door.
I listened as his footsteps retreated, suddenly confused on how I didn't sense him approach. I guess I was too occupied. My face flamed and I stared at my hand on the doorknob.

"Was it everything you expected?" Salem's voice came from my right, I shrugged.

"It was alright I suppose. I have nothing to compare it to" I tried to sound as nonchalant as possible. I forced myself to look at him.

"Well I enjoyed myself. Sorry to disappoint. If your date goes well tomorrow maybe you will be able to experience another." He tilt his head, his eyes were both back to green.

"You're going to kiss me again if my date goes well?" I spoke slowly in confusion. God my brain was shot. He laughed suddenly, shaking his head.

"I mean if your date goes well, you might just kiss the prince tomorrow" his tone had an edge to it. Was it jealousy? I doubt it. My stomach turned at the thought of kissing some prince. Kissing anyone that wasn't Salem, really...