Chapter Eighty-Two

Dinner with the King

"Will you just tell me what you guys spoke about?" I begged Salem as we walked together down the hall to my bedroom. He kept his eyes fixed straight ahead. He and Alex had left quickly earlier when we were all in the sitting room. They were gone for an hour. When we got in the room I shut the door quickly and grabbed his hand.

"Salem!" I shouted now, pulling him to me.

"Please!" I begged again and his eyes finally met mine. He smiled softly, trailing his index finger down my cheek.

"Everything will be okay" he whispered finally and I exhaled shakily.

"What do you mean?" I cried. I was feeling too much at once. He wiped my tears and wrapped his arms around my waist tightly, kissing my forehead.

"Everything will be okay, okay? Trust me. I trust you." He whispered and kissed me gently. I was so confused. Did that mean he changed his mind about the baby!?

"So you.. you want it?" I whispered shakily and he sighed. He led me over to my bed and started undressing me.

"I always wanted it, Daya." He spoke gently. He touched me gently. Happy tears gathered in my eyes now. I let out a nervous laugh and hugged him quickly, causing us to fall onto the bed.

We faced each other and he ran his hand through my hair.

"Do you understand why I love you?" I shook my head slowly at his question with a smile. He shot me a smirk and sat up, nudging me onto my stomach. He started massaging my back.

"You happen to be one of the fiercest women I've met. The strongest, for sure. You can survive anything. You've survived so much loss and heartbreak. You survived your own mate dying." His tone sounded so loving but...somewhat sad.

"You have such a big heart. You have so much love to give to so many people. Your people. The humans. You have the potential to be an amazing queen, and you will be one day. You've outgrown your mother's shadow." He continued on and I felt the tears gather in my eyes again.

"You've loved me in ways I never thought would be possible. You stole my heart quickly. You're my best friend. You're my home. I love you with every fiber of my being." His voice was making me melt. The things he was saying made me melt.
He fell silent now and I closed my eyes. When he was finished massaging me he turned me over, kissing me gently.

"Why am I naked and you aren't" I whispered, looking up at him. He smiled and pulled his shirt off.

"I want to take my time with you again. Like the first time. Like it would be the last time."

*•*•*•*•*

"Daya please calm down" Alyce spoke sternly to me but her voice sounded distorted. My head was spinning. Everything around me seemed far away. She was holding my hands but it was as if I couldn't feel her touch.

"He's going to die" I whispered finally. Tears started rolling down my cheeks.

My mind kept turning back to last night. Everything Salem said. 'I want to take my time with you like the first time. Like it's the last time.'

"He was saying goodbye last night Alyce! And I didn't even realize it!" I screamed suddenly, gasping for air. The panic had set in fully. Alex had come to my room this morning. He told me what he and Salem had spoken about.

Salem planned on going to dad and telling him that I was pregnant by him, but that he had forced himself on me. Dad will make me terminate and kill Salem. When Alex rejected this plan, Salem insisted. It was the only way to keep me safe. We had spoken all night last night. He made me feel like we were the only ones in the world. He was prepping me to be without him.