Chapter Six

100% Transparent

I woke up around 10pm, stretching and sitting up in bed. I immediately grabbed the glass of blood next to my bed, satisfying my hunger. To my surprise and delight, my guard wasn't in here anymore. My door was shut and locked. I changed into something slightly more appropriate and exited my room. One of my old guards stood outside, at attention.

I stared at him in confusion. He quit after I got a little too drunk and tried to swing on him..it happens sometimes.

"Where is my guard?" I spoke quietly, feeling kind of bad. He bowed his head to me silently.

"The king requested his presence about an hour ago to discuss his actions." What!?

My eyes widened slightly and I went back into my room, shaking away the nervous feeling. Maybe father decided he wasn't good enough..maybe he had a problem with what he said at the conference..

My mind was racing now on why he would want to speak to him, and why it had taken so long. Not that I cared or anything if father was going to fire him from being my guard.

They always were simply moved to a different position...

Unless he was going to be fired fired.

I ran out of my room, darting down the hallway and ignoring the guards questioning.

I made it to fathers office in seconds, panting slightly. He sat at his desk, alone. He looked up with a confused look.

"Where's my guard?" I leveled my voice and he smiled.

"You just missed him, why are you up?." He turned his attention back to his paperwork.

"What did you need to talk to him about?" I pressed further, ignoring his question. He raised an eyebrow. I didn't usually question him.

"I was congratulating him on how he handled that nasty reporter, and for bringing in a man that was attempting to scale the walls around 10:30 last night." His look grew serious and my eyes widened slightly. So that's why he was already out there...

" I didn't want you to worry, but the man has since been questioned and charged." He continued and I nodded.

"He has been the most effective guard thus far, don't you think?" He smiled at me happily and I stared back blankly.

"I'm going to go down for some food, will you be joining?" I spoke nervously and he shrugged.

"I might, we shall see I have a lot of work to be doing." His look softened and I nodded, concealing my disappointment.

I left the room without another word, heading down the hallway towards the stairs. I skipped down them quickly and entered the dining hall. It was empty aside from some workers. I began pulling out my chair as a maid brought me food, her eyes staring next to me I looked back and jumped.

"Must you sneak up on me?" I hissed at my guard, he stood silently at the chair beside mine.

He smirked and pulled my chair out for me.

I ignored this gesture, sitting down with a huff.
He sat across from me and drummed his fingers on the table.

"You were concerned about me" He spoke up and I shot him a glare.

"I was making sure you were actually gone before I started celebrating. Wouldn't want to waste my good champagne if you were still here." I snapped back and he smiled discreetly.

I ate in happy silence, my guard fixating his stare at random places every few minutes. He ate slowly, I had finally brought up how I had never seen him eat or drink before and he said 'I do it on my own time' which I decided was ridiculous. His own time was when he went to bed. I didn't understand how he could possibly function on only feeding once a day. Not that I cared.