Chapter Sixteen

Who are you

We sat in an uncomfortable silence. It was killing me, actually.

He reluctantly agreed to talk and had sat in his usual chair while I sat on the edge of my bed.

My impulses got the best of me and I had blurted out that I read some of his file. He hadn't said a word since. I could practically see the gears turning in his head.

"What happened to 100% transparency?" I whispered, fearful for who he truly was. I needed to know who exactly I let sleep in my bed.. and who I was trusting with my life.

"Do you trust me?" His spoke softly and I had to think about this. He hadn't done anything to show I shouldn't trust him..yet he had all of these secrets.

"You don't trust me with your truth." I retorted quickly, gaining the higher ground. He grinned a little, resting his hand on his head and nodding to himself.

"I don't trust anybody." He whispered suddenly and I felt slightly offended.

"Not even me, huh?" I snapped back and he shrugged.

I sighed and looked to the side, moving my hair out of my face. Maybe he didn't trust me..maybe it would be hard given the life he's led. Then again what do I even know about the life he has led.

"How willing are you to drop this?" I could tell by his tone how desperately he didn't want to talk about it..

"Fine. We'll drop it." I whispered harshly and he leaned back, giving me a challenging look.

"I'll find my answers on my own." I growled and stood up, shooting him a glare as he laughed.

"I expect nothing less, Princess." He spoke quietly and I nodded towards the door.

"Let's go train then. I have a lot of frustration to get out." I grumbled to myself as he followed me down the hallway.

****

I swung my leg hard at Salem, shouting with power. He quickly deflected me for the hundredth time.

"You're giving me too much leeway." He coached, holding his hands up defensively as I bounced on my feet.

I'll show him leeway.

I darted around him in the blink of an eye, kicking his feet out from under him. He gracefully caught himself, throwing himself
Up into a handstand with one foot on the ground and his other inches from my face.

"Leeway" he muttered with a mischievous smirk.

I swung at his foot and he dodged, spinning back around on me. He was too cocky.

I moved faster, focusing on my vampire speed. He kept up with me well dodging and evading my blows.

I kicked at him, making him duck like I knew he would I quickly moved down and swung.

He caught my damn hand before I could even make contact.

"You're too fast!" I shouted angrily now, getting really frustrated.

"You're too slow" he grinned at me, taking a few steps backwards.

"Land a hit on me and I'll answer one question Let's tap into that powerful bloodline of yours." he shook his hands out and my eyes widened slightly. Now there was motivation.

I moved quickly, this time he retaliated. He deflected me and would easily move my hands away from him.

I took a quick step to my right, running forward I ducked around him and kicked at his leg while continuing to turn I swung my leg hard, just barely missing his head. I didn't let myself stop, relentlessly moving and jabbing away.

I took a more direct approach and kept swinging at him head on, backing him into a wall. He appeared next to me..got em now.

I crouched and threw my leg back, successfully knocking him off of his feet. As quick as he fell he was up, and I felt all of my anger suddenly I swung hard and landed a hit across his cheek.

We both froze. I didn't follow through, my hand stopped on his cheek. I stared at him with wide eyes, panting.

He reached up slowly and placed his hand over mine.

"Follow through" He muttered, amusement dancing in his eyes. He wanted me to hit him!?

I shook my head quickly, pulling my hand back from his cheek.

"I don't want to hit you!" I gasped and he rolled his eyes.

"So what are we training for then if you plan on never hitting anyone if you need to?" He crossed his arms and I glared fiercely.

"You just don't have it in you." He spoke with a sense of finality and I stared at him in shock. Who was he to say that!?

I lunged forward and landed the blow across his face, a weird rush hitting me. He didn't budge, beckoning me for to keep coming. We continued the dance, me swinging and him dodging. I felt a weird sense of power come over me and suddenly I was moving faster. I could tell I was going to best him.

He continued shouting encouragements now and the world around me seemed to blur. I felt more clearly, I could sense more clearly. It felt like I knew where he was going to move next. I finally started landing hits on him as everything around us blurred we were moving so fast.

I kicked his feet out from under him and lunged, losing my balance we both stumbled and I hit the ground next to him.

"Ouch" he muttered, laying flat on his back.

"I did it!" I shrieked, sitting up and feeling a little dazed.

I looked over at him happily and he rubbed his eyes and sat up.

"Did you feel different?" He rest his arms on his knees and I nodded quickly.

"I've never felt that before." I whispered to myself and he nodded, standing up he held his hand out to me.

"We used to rely on those instincts. You have to stay in touch with it. It's who you are." He was right. I was always cooped up in the castle and never had to act like that. I took his hand and he pulled me to my feet, my legs went weak from being tired and I stumbled into his chest.

He steadied me by holding onto my arms and I looked up at him out of instinct.

We stared at each other silently, his eyes burned into mine and I could feel my cheeks heat up at our closeness.

"We'll work on your stamina and dig a little deeper into what you're capable of" he spoke quietly and step back. I nodded, looking away and cursing myself for feeling flustered.

"I can assure you my stamina is fine" I scoffed and he smirked at me mischievously.

"It's definitely not. You're already tired. It's fine, I have plenty of stamina. Good thing I'm used to doing all of the work." He headed towards the training equipment and I blushed hard at his words. Why was he so bold randomly!?

"You owe me an answer." I crossed my arms, using an authoritative voice. He stopped and turned around, raising an eyebrow.

"You're right and I am a man of my word" he rubbed his chin thoughtfully and I nodded towards the door.

I walked past him quickly and headed for outside. I knew no one would be in the backyard.

Time to find out who Salem really is.