Chapter Forty-Two

The Garden

I kicked at the cold hard ground, watching the snowfall cover the newly bare spot. The snow was falling harder now. The temperature had dropped even more. I was walking around the garden grounds with Salem silently trailing me. We hadn't spoken yet.

We turned around at the same time, he probably sensed someone coming as I did. Emma came walking through the tall hedges and my eyes widened slightly. What the hell was she doing here. She was carrying something small, looking up and smiling when she saw us.

"There you are. I was scared I was going to get lost out here. Princess." she laughed breathlessly, moving her hair out of face. She bowed her head to me and I stay silent.

"I know this weird but .." she continued and trailed off, holding out the small box to Salem.

"Happy birthday" she whispered quietly and he stared at her emotionlessly. Happy birthday!?

"Thank you" he responded dryly and took it from her hands.

"I just wanted to stop by and wish you a happy birthday. I know how much you like those, I hope you enjoy it. I'm sorry for everything." She bowed her head to us again and left without another word. Well that was weird.

I turned to Salem and we both stared at the box in his hands.

"It's your birthday!" I shouted at him, slapping his arm playfully. He slowly smiled, nodding.

"And you weren't going to say anything!? I had to upstaged by miss dresses to impress!?" I scolded him and he laughed.

"There's been a lot going on" he defended, giving me an exasperated look. I rolled my eyes.

"Well happy birthday." I grumbled, crossing my arms with a huff. He rolled his eyes in a way to mock me.

"Thanks. Can't imagine why she'd feel that was appropriate." He mumbled, opening the box.

Inside was a pastry. I looked at him with interest. 'I know how much you like those' so she remembers what he likes. I didn't even know what he likes.

"You like those?" I asked , peering closer. It was a beignet.

"I don't usually like sweets. But I do like these" he shut the box, sighing.

"Of course you don't like sweets" I poked him and he laughed with a shake of his head.

I called for a maid to come and take the box, she took it to his room. We continued walking slowly through the gardens. I stopped at a rose bush, watching the snow gather on the leaves. I secretly watched Salem out of the corner of my eye, he had his hands in his pockets and was watching the sky. He stuck his tongue out slowly, a snowflake falling on it. I turned and watched him continue doing this in his own world. He smiled, there was almost a twinkle in his eye.

"Do you like the snow?" I asked, breaking his trance. He looked at me, tongue still sticking out. He nodded once and I giggled.

"Me too. Winter is my favorite time of year" I crouched down, acting like I was fixing my shoe. I quickly gathered up some snow in my hand, standing abruptly. Before I could even throw it, salems hand was on my wrist.

I shrieked and jerked my hand towards him, smothering the snow on his face. He gasped in fake shock, grabbing me quickly

"You'll regret that" he laughed, sweeping my legs from under me and stopping my face inches above the snow. I shrieked again, this time in delight.

"You wouldn't!" I laughed, trying to get out of his grasp.

"I would!" He smushed my face into the snow and stood me back up straight.