Chapter Forty-Four

Vacation

I skimmed the books on dads shelf, running my fingers down the spines. Salem was outside the office, I asked him to wait out there.

"I just knew when we met. If you ask anybody that question, they don't know how to explain it. I guess it was like a voice in my head separate from my own that told me." Dad explained while scribbling something down on some paperwork. I asked him how he knew mom was his mate.

"Do you think it could be hereditary? Maybe since you and mom were mates..Alyce and I have a better chance of having ones too?" I glanced over my shoulder at him and he seemed to think hard about this.

"That poses a great question, daya. I honestly don't have an answer." I frowned at his response.

"Do you think there is ever mistakes made in pairings?" I walked over and sat in front of him now. He shook his head.

"No, I don't believe so. Are you asking these questions because of Prince Alex?" He raised an eyebrow and I nodded. That's a good cover.

"It is sad that the king there killed his mate because she had a lower standing in the world.." I trailed off. I wanted to ask if he'd do the same. I didn't want to raise suspicions. He looked shocked now.

"Is that what he told you?" He questioned with wide eyes and I nodded.

"Well, he lied. He killed his mate." He spoke bluntly and my eyes widened.

"What?" I gasped and he nodded.

"He killed her. Not the king. He himself didn't want someone lower than him." I sat back in the chair taking this in.

That is a big lie to tell.

"Jeez..well.." I trailed off, absolutely stunned.

"I know. Try not to go off on the poor boy for lying. I'm sure that caused him a lot of pain regardless. He's probably ashamed." I nodded for the sake of not arguing how fucked up it is that he did that to his own mate.

"I don't really want to get married" I whispered and he shook his head.

"You need somebody by your side when you rule. Your mother was my voice of reasoning. A lot comes with being a ruler. You need a confidant, someone to help you." He spoke pointedly and I sighed.

"For now I will just be glad you've found a guard that sticks" he smiled at me and I nodded.

"Speaking of, I've been wanting to ask you for some time now.." I trailed off slowly. Salem did stick, that's for sure. He nodded for me to go ahead and I fiddled with my hands.

"Why did you pick Salem?" I asked carefully. I didn't want him to think I was questioning his decision. He leaned back and folded his hands.

"It was your mothers wish" he smiled warmly at me and my eyes widened.

"What?" Her wish??

He nodded, laughing lightly.

"She decided long ago that she wanted Salem to be your guard. She only ever said she just had a feeling. You know how she was with her premonitions." He smiled again and I nodded.

"Did she ever go with you to the Westard kingdom to visit him?" I asked quietly and he shook his head.

"No. We didn't want to refresh any memories." He spoke plainly and I chewed the inside of my lip. That's sad.

"So why keep giving me guards before asking him?" I raised an eyebrow and he looked up from his paperwork.

"I knew Salem wasn't in a position to leave that kingdom yet. He was very useful to the king there. You needed somebody so I just kept trying. Perhaps your mothers intuition was right, seeing as how you rejected all of them." I nodded along and sighed.