Chapter Fifty-Two

Cover up

*•*•*•*SALEMS POV*•*•*•*

Time was dragging. I was convinced I was actually frozen in time. My phone rang and I looked over at it lazily. Lydia.

I sighed and answered.

"How's it been?" Her voice was eager.

"It's been good" I spoke plainly. I definitely wouldn't divulge what exactly happened. I shouldn't have ever told her that Daya was my mate. Not because I don't trust her.. she'd just be focused on that now. Too concerned about my happiness.

"Don't give me that tone" she snipped at me and I smirked to myself.

"She's on a date right now with Prince Alex." I continued and she sighed on the other line.

"That's the rest of your life if you stay there, Salem. Watching her with another man." She spoke seriously and I tensed at the thought. I knew that was my future. At least she would've been in it though.

We talked for about 20 minutes. She caught me up on everything that was going on with her. I was glad to not be talking about myself.

I decided to go stretch the wolves legs. I used to go for runs at night when I didn't have something to do. I might as well to pass the time. I stopped at the mirror and stared hard at myself. I used to feel nothing looking at myself. I had no regard for my life. I didn't care about anything. I felt lighter.. I looked lighter. I couldn't think too hard about the past. It was just a reminder that I didn't deserve Dayanara. I was trying to become somebody that did deserve her, even if she'd never be mine. I tugged my shirt collar to the side, staring at the mark she left on me. I took in a deep breath. It still hasn't faded. I didn't know much about vampires mating, or if they marked each other like werewolves did.

Shifting in an instant once outside only hurt for a moment. It was leagues better than the full moon.

I ran hard and fast, jaws snapping at the air. I was miles away in seconds. I let the wolf instinct take over. Ever since I had the whole 'mate' incident begin with Dayanara the voice had been more prominent. I let him have control now. I began heading towards the town and rolled my eyes, turning back. Too much control I guess.

I ran for awhile. I lost track of time. The moon rising in the sky was all I needed though.

I made it back to the place and showered, returning to my spot on the couch. My eyes flicked to the clock. It was 11:30pm. I sighed, looking towards the patio door. It didn't feel right not being near her. It didn't feel right to not be there in case something happened. I was too used to being her guard but I guess that was the point. I sensed them coming, turning my eyes to the ceiling and sighing. Thank god.

The door opened and I stayed on the couch, looking over carelessly.

My eyes narrowed.

Dayanara stumbled in, visibly intoxicated. Alex came in behind her completely sober.

"Ah you're still up" he grumbled and I stood up, clenching and unclenching my jaw.

Dayanara stumbled over to the cabinets, pulling out a bottle of wine.

I stayed silent. There was too many words I had right now.