Chapter Twenty

Peace of mind

I tossed and turned in my bed restlessly. I was getting angry. Every time I drifted off to sleep I jolted awake because of a nightmare. I just wanted to sleep. The faster I fell asleep the quicker I wake up and the quicker I can go back to the room Salem was in.

He was healing rapidly, but it was still taking some time. They were keeping him sedated, since he was back in his uh vampire? Form? Person?

I didn't know what to call it.
I got out of bed slowly and changed into casual clothes. The stand in would be in his room now..maybe I could just sneak downstairs unnoticed...

I tiptoed through the empty halls, it gave me an uneasy feeling with how dark the castle was.
The silence was eerie.

I peeked around the corner and darted downstairs, stopping outside of Salem's door.

I listened hard for any nurses, the room was clear. I cracked it open and stuck my head in slowly, flinging the door open in shock to see it was empty.

What the hell.
I stepped in and looked around, the sheets were flipped back. The heart rate monitors hung from the machine when they should be connected to Salem.

"Isn't it past your bedtime, Princess?" A voice behind me made me jump, letting out a shriek.

"Salem" I whispered as I turned and saw him standing in the doorway.

He gave me a weak smile and I looked him over, assessing the damages. He was leaning against the doorframe, one hand on his side. His face had various cuts and scraps from the windows breaking in on him.

I walked to him slowly, stopping a few feet before him. The image of the wolf came back into my mind and I froze.

"You should be sleeping" he spoke softly and I swallowed hard, shaking my head. In reality I was trying to shake the fear away. I shouldn't fear him. I shouldn't. Even if his bite could kill me... I shouldn't.

He sighed and dropped his arm, stepping aside from blocking the doorway.

We stood in silence and I walked up to him finally and gently wrapped my arms around his waist. He seemed surprised by this and slowly returned the gesture.

I pressed my face against his chest and sighed as he rest his chin on top of my head.

I finally let go and stepped back as he touched my chin lightly and tilted my head up to look at him.

"You are okay?" How was I still his only concern.. I nodded slowly and he smiled again.

"I understand if you're..scared" he whispered suddenly and I shook my head, looking away.

"No, I'm not. It's just..I mean yes. I never believe you would hurt me. It's just..knowing your bite could kill me..." I rambled on and he patted my head.

"Don't worry I only bite in the bedroom." He laughed quietly to himself as I glared.

I softened my look when he winced in pain, touching his side again.

"You could've died" I whispered and he shook his head.

"No I knew that wouldn't kill me." I could tell by his tone he didn't believe that.

"You don't know that. You could've died!" I hissed back and he rolled his eyes.

"So?" This response shocked me. How could he be so nonchalant about that.

"It's literally my-" he started slowly and I cut him off.

"All I've been hearing is people say you were just doing your fucking job like your life doesn't matter and if you say that I swear.." I trailed off trying to recollect myself. I was tired of hearing it. So many people had said 'wow he really did his job' or when I was upset about him getting hurt their only consolation was 'he was just doing his job'

He fell silent at my outburst and stared at me with interest.

"If you die I have no guard." I whispered, trying to conceal how upset I truly was over his actions. Even if he did save my life.

"This is true, and then who will be there to console your nightmares?" He raised an eyebrow and I looked away in defeat.

"Yeah, I could hear you" He muttered quietly and I shrugged it off.

"Anyways-" I started with more attitude than I intended, earning a smirk from him-" I did come down here to check on you, and you're fine, so I'm going back to bed. I can deal with my nightmares myself." I spoke gruffly and he nodded, making a face at me.

"Oh yes of course princess. Goodnight." He saluted me playfully and walked to the hospital bed slowly and I hesitated in the door way.

"Goodnight" I muttered wearily, knowing damn well I would go back to not being able to sleep. I looked back sheepishly, I wanted to ask him to come with me. I shook my head to myself and he flashed me the peace sign. I rolled my eyes and walked away. I slowed my pace, longing to turn back around. He knew I wanted him to come with me. He just wanted to make me admit it, and he wasn't going to win that battle.

I walked slowly down the hallway, rubbing my thumbs together nervously. It was stupid.
I reached my room and sat on my bed, looking around sadly.

"Your ego is far too big, Princess." Salem walled into my room and I held back my smile, my heart raced suddenly.

"It is not. What are you doing?" I kept a serious tone and he rolled his eyes.

"I'm doing what you want but won't admit to." He sat down slowly in the chair and winced slightly.

"Wait Salem.." I trailed off, realizing he really was still in pain. Maybe he really shouldn't be in here.

"I'm okay, I promise." He smile at me lightly and I frowned, closing my eyes.

"You keep putting me above you and it's just not fair to you. Your job isn't to put your life on the line for me or put yourself through unnecessary pain for me." I whispered and kept my eyes shut, rubbing them.

I flinched in surprise when he touched my chin, suddenly standing in front of me and tilting my head up.

When I opened my eyes his face was mere inches from mine.

"I don't do these things just because it's my job. I care about you." He whispered quietly, a serious look in his eyes.

I swallowed hard, feeling speechless at our closeness. I stared at him silently. I can't believe how little I really have paid attention to him..he was extremely attractive.

He slowly moved his hand up and ran his thumb across my bottom lip and I felt like I might just melt into a puddle at this point.

He smirked at me mischievously and stood up straight, waving towards my bed.

"Off to sleep with you." His tone was playful. He knew that he had an affect on me damn it.

I got into bed and blinked furiously trying to clear my head from how flustered I was.