Chapter Seventy-Eight

TW; violence and suggested rape

Snapped

*•*•*•*Salems POV*•*•*•*

"You're not going to go to sleep, are you?" Nathan whispered from his position next to me. I shook my head, staring off into the darkness. I'd be fine staying up for a few days. I was too antsy to sleep. The thought of finding Dominic and finally making him pay for what he did to Daya.. it was too good to sleep on.

"You should get some sleep" I grumbled, crossing my arms tight against my body. Even I was cold in this weather. The snow was falling lightly.

"You both need to sleep. You're already a huge liability to me. If you're tired it's even worse." Catherine growled at both of us. She was assigned this mission too. She worked for King Issac, the same type of work I did for King James. She seemed to only know Nathan and I as castle guards. Ever since we left the castle she'd been making snide comments. I told Nathan to ignore her, we both had hardly said anything to her aside from things about this mission.

I'll admit, when I did favors for the king I looked down on castle guards too. I thought they didn't really do anything. Most don't see action their whole lives. They're trained for it, but they aren't in the shit like we were.

I smiled to myself and Nathan groaned.

"You're so annoying! Do you even know who he is!?" He complained and I shot him a warning glare.

"Calm down, liability." I mused at him and she turned her vicious look to me.

"Yes, he's the babysitter for the Princess. Big whoop." She grumbled and looked off into the distance. She was arrogant.

"You're so clueless." Nathan grumbled to himself and I sighed. I wished they'd stop. I was already annoyed being out here. Their bickering on top of the cold was just awful.

"Enlighten me then, babysitter. All I see is an arrogant man who thinks he's above everyone else because he babysits a princess. You get one good fight and you're just God aren't you?" Her narrowed eyes were piercing mine.

I smiled and nodded. I wasn't going to feed into it.

Nathan scoffed with a smirk.

"Sit in the comfy castle just standing around waiting for something to happen" Catherine muttered to herself and I couldn't help but laugh. Maybe I would feed into it after all.

"You sound jealous, thrall" I mocked her tone and her eyes widened. Anger filled them now. Castle workers used to call us thralls. It was just another word for slave. It always irritated me and I could tell it struck a nerve with her.

"What did you just call me?" She hissed, standing up now and taking a scary step forward.

"Salem that was kinda mean" Nathan whispered and I rolled my eyes.

"I only called her what I've heard a million times before. You want to do the whole 'who's better than who' bullshit. I might as well play the part then. You wanted a reaction with your nitpicking, so I'll give you the one you want." I spoke curtly and her eyes narrowed again.

"Catherine will you just sit down and chill out? We're not better than you, and you're not better than us. We certainly aren't a liability either" Nathan spoke with exasperation but she stayed standing.