Chapter Forty-Three

Rooftop

*•*•*•*•*•*SALEMS POV*•*•*•*•*•*•*

"Here you are" a maid set a cup of blood in front of me, I smiled politely and thanked her.
She nodded and walked away without another word. We had gotten used to each other in my time here. Every morning I got up, came to the kitchen for coffee and sometimes blood. I stayed here in peace and quiet until I knew Dayanara would be getting up.

I stared at my reflection in the black coffee before me. I wished now I hadn't thrown away the beignet Emma got me. I guess I was petty at times. I kept my gaze fixed on the coffee as I sipped the blood. Prince Alex had just walked in. An early riser perhaps?

I groaned internally as he made his way to me.

"Good morning Prince Alex" I bowed my head to him.

"Good morning.." he trailed off and I shifted my gaze to meet his eyes.

"Salem" I hid my irritation. This was my me time. He pulled out the chair and sat down. Great. His hands folded in front of him on the table, he cleared his throat.

"I thought I might pick your brain about Dayanara" he sounded hopeful. Interesting thing to come to me about.

I nodded, straightening up.

"Do you know what she thinks of me?" His tone was so hopeful. Poor guy, probably worried after her reaction to him trying to get rid of me.

"We don't speak about personal things often." I spoke plainly, raising my coffee to my mouth. He nodded slowly and sighed.

"She is a tough nut to crack" I muttered, concealing my smile.

"But you did it. How?" His tone was..challenging almost. I got the feeling this guy didn't like me.

"Gave her space. Did my job. She doesn't take well to overbearing people. She doesn't like people making decisions for her." He nodded along and laughed lightly.

"Yeah I gathered that after yesterday. Everyone said she was fierce." He shook his head slowly.

"She is incredible. I see why she is so desired. A challenging woman is a prize to be able to have." He sounded just plain arrogant now. She was a prize, but not for those reasons.

"Why come to such a boring job after the life you lived at the Westard kingdom?" He was going to pry now.

"The King asked me to. It hasn't been boring in the slightest. I enjoy it here." I kept my face blank. I was beyond annoyed.

"I imagine it's a nice break from all of the blood on your hands." He nodded to himself slowly, tapping a finger on the table now.

"And it is a plus to get to follow Dayanara around so much. She is beautiful." I didn't understand what he was getting at.

I simply hummed in response.

"I'm not going to lie.. I am skeptical of your intentions being here." He spoke pointedly and I raised an eyebrow.

"Is that so?" I held back my grin. My intentions here..what a joke.