Chapter Seventy-Three

Otherside

I watched Salem silently as he studied the newspaper clipping in his hand. He asked if we had any photos together, so I presented him with the only one I had.

"You found this in my room? The first time I left for my transition?" He spoke finally and I nodded.

"It's crumbled because I tried to throw it away but decided to hold onto it. I thought you weren't coming back." I rambled sheepishly as he handed it back to me. We were both sitting on my bed now.

"I know myself, and I know that look I have in the photo is anger. I don't get angry a lot." He shrugs, I don't think he viewed the photo as proof unfortunately.

"I've seen you angry, it's quite scary" I laugh quietly as my mind drifts to the memories. He looks at me with an eyebrow raised.

"Oh really? Tell me about it" he gives me a small smile and my heart lights up.

"The first time I saw you mad, you punched a guy at a club. I was pretty drunk and he kept forcing himself on me. The second time was after I ran away. You were definitely pissed when you found me." I giggled at the thought and he looked at me in confusion.

"We go to clubs? You ran away!?" He sounded so confused. I nodded with another giggle.

"I was adamant about continuing to go out, so you accompanied me. I ran away one night after a ball because I was just..done. I didn't want to be set up with someone to be married. We also had just learned that my ex cheated on me with your ex, Emma." I couldn't help the glare I had now. His eyes widened and his mouth dropped open.

"Our ex's were together!?" He whispered like it was the juiciest gossip he'd heard in years.

"I wish I could say I'm surprised, Emma cheated on me with every man in town it seems like. Sorry you got affected by that. It's kinda funny irony though." He grumbled and I shrugged.

"As you said back then, it's water under the bridge. You also said that there was humor to be found in irony.. Now that I think of it, there might be photos of the balls we've had here." I grabbed my phone quickly and began googling.

My heart quickened when Salem leaned closer, watching the phone screen as I scrolled. Inches away...

"Here!" I gasped, finding a photo album from a paparazzi company. A whole article full of photos. I scrolled hastily and scanned for photos of myself. Salem had to be in them too. I stopped abruptly, landing on a photo of us dancing. Captioned 'the eligible princess takes a break from suitors, dancing with new guard' thank god it wasn't anything suggestive. I handed my phone to Salem and couldn't fight back my smile. It was a great photo. We were holding each other close, Salem was grinning with his head tilted and I looked irritated.

"You look so mad" he laughed lightly, studying the picture.

"You were probably saying something snarky I'm sure." I smiled at him and he handed it back to me. I hesitated, looking at him.

"Would it be weird if I saved it?" I whispered and he shook his head.

"No, Princess." He whispered back and I nodded slowly.

We spent the next few minutes going through various articles and photos of the balls we had had here. There were photos of Salem and I at each one. I saved every photo I could find.

"That one- stop" he spoke suddenly as I was looking at an article from the blood drive.

It was the moment I was getting out of the car. Salem was at my door, holding my hand to help me out. I was looking up at him, and he was looking down at me so... so softly.