Chapter Seventeen

School Teacher

"So you snuck into the kings office, and used his computer to search me in the secret database?" Salem spoke slowly, pacing in front of me as I sat in one of the patio chairs.

I nodded once, amazed to see him actually flustered. He was never anything but cool calm
and collected.

"So what did you see?" He stopped abruptly and sat directly next to me. I folded my hands together and rubbed my thumbs, staring down at my hands.

"You're marked as deceased, for one. Which I would've understood if you were marked dead from the time you left the Westard kingdom. But it has no record of you even being alive." I whispered quietly and he stared off into the distance.

"That's for my protection." He stated plainly and my eyebrows furrowed together in confusion.

"You have a sister..had a sister" I continued on and he sighed.

"I have a sister." He muttered quietly and I looked to him, staring in shock.

"She is very much alive" he whispered, staring down at his hands now.

"What? Where is she?" The questions buzzed around in my head like a hornets nest.

"Somewhere up north." He looked at me now, I couldn't read his expression. More confusion filled me.

The werewolves had that territory.

I thought back to the meeting earlier..the way the wolves talked about him.. that woman...

"Your parents were killed for crimes against the balance of nature. Are they actually dead?" I changed my question, hoping this one might clear something up.

He nodded once and for a second he actually looked..sad.

"They are actually dead" He whispered and I suddenly felt guilty. I was pushing all of this out of him.

"The crime against the balance of nature was conceiving my sister and I." He looked at me now, and his eyes resembled that picture in the file. I swallowed hard and nodded.

"I don't need to know anything else" I whispered, instinctively reaching over and touching my hand against his. I didn't want to force this information out of him.

He nodded slowly, looking towards the castle. We sat in silence and I pushed the questions to the back of my mind.

"Someday" He muttered, keeping his eyes straight ahead.

One of the servants came out sheepishly and Salem pulled his hand away from mine.

"Princess Dayanara" he bowed his head and handed me a piece of paper.

"Thank you" I smiled at him, dismissing him quickly.

"Oh shit" I whispered, rereading the invitation I had received to visit a school today.

"I forgot!" I hissed, jumping up and bolting for my room to change. I was supposed to be visiting a new school in one of the cities.

I changed as fast as I could and ran down the hallways to the chauffeur. Salem was already standing beside the car, changed into his typical uniform with his hands folded.

"Let's go!" I shouted, flinging myself into the backseat.

I wasn't going to be late, but I definitely wasn't mentally prepared. I was anal about writing out my responses for questions that might come up.

"What school are we going to?" Salem spoke quietly and stared out the window.

"It's a new elementary school." I composed myself and thought about what questions small children might ask.