Chapter Fifty-Three

Home

I kept my head under the shower and let the hot water beat on me. I lied to Salem. I was so upset with myself for it. I had to though... I had to make up a good excuse for the bite mark and why I told Alex it was a marking. It was a marking. I just couldn't tell Salem that. From what I could tell, he didn't seem to know that vampires mark each other like wolves do. I just hated that I lied to him.

The rest of the week passed by like a blur. This was the best vacation I'd ever had and I knew it was because of him. The thought of returning home and having to continue to search for a suitor was torture to me. I wanted to stay here with him forever. I was falling for him. I had to admit that. The more I ran from it, the more agonizing it was.

I finished showering and forced myself to get ready. Salem was already packed. He seemed back to normal.. he seemed happy. I hoped he was happy. I hoped I was enough to make him happy when we are together. I learned a lot about him on this trip. I truly felt like he was one of my best friends now. It was so weird to think just two months ago I was trying to get rid of him. We laughed about that a lot.

The car was waiting for us and I sighed. Time to go. I read silently on the ride, Salem kept his eyes fixed on the road. After what felt like forever the castle came into view. My chest tightened. Back to reality. Back to our roles.

I looked over at Salem, admiring the way the sun hit his eyes. I wondered if we'd ever touch or be intimate again. I desperately wanted to be close to him. I wanted to have him whenever I wanted. I wanted him to have me whenever he wanted. We had both assured each other that that was in fact, a lot.

The driver and Salem grabbed our bags, taking them inside. After unpacking as slowly as possible I decided to head to fathers office. Salem trailed behind me.

I didn't bother knocking on his office door. I never did.

"Oh" I froze when I opened the door. Alex was here, so was.. his dad. The 3 of them looked at us and I quickly bowed my head.

"I'm so sorry for the interruption" I apologized and dad sighed.

"It's okay Daya. I was about to call for the both of you." He sounded.. upset. I looked at him in confusion and two of our castle guards came to Salems side.

"What's going on?" I blurt out, watching in alarm as they fastened Salems hands behind his back.

"Daya we-" dad started but I began to panic.

"Why are they doing that? What's happening?" My voice shook slightly as they led Salem out of the room.

"We're having a trial" the king spoke sternly. My head snapped in his direction. I bit my tongue. He was the king of the Ramora kingdom. It was hours away on the coast, where Alex was from.

"A trial?" I asked slowly and dad stood up.

"I convinced them to wait until you returned from your vacation. Though I wish we weren't doing this right now at your return, it is what it is. I can't defend Salems disrespects any longer. It will all be laid out at trial. You are encouraged not to attend." Dad was using his bossy king voice.

"Oh, I'm coming." I snapped angrily.

*•*•*•*

This was fucking ridiculous. A whole trial for disrespect. Any 'disrespect' was at a defense for me. I paced in my room angrily, sensing someone coming. There was a light knock at the door. I threw it open, gasping.

"Sophia!?" I shrieked. My god mom stood before me completely beaming. We threw our arms around each other, tears gathered in my eyes.

"What are you doing here!?" I gasped, pulling her into a tight hug. Her blonde hair was curled to her shoulders. Her blue eyes sparkled. I hadn't seen her in so long.

"I was going to come visit last week but I heard you were on vacation. I got in yesterday" she smiled at me warmly and gave me another squeeze.

"I spent some time with Alyce yesterday. Now I'm all yours"  I couldn't contain my excitement. She was my moms best friend for over 100 years. She grabbed my hand and pulled me towards the dining room.

I had no appetite given the impending trial .. but being with Sophia might have the advice I needed. She was my second mom basically. I picked at my food and encouraged her to chat away about what she's been up to. I hadn't seen her since moms funeral. She was always around during my childhood. The older we got, she made sure to be there for important things. I understood she had her own life. After mom died she lost a huge part of her just like we did. I was just glad she was here now. I needed this. We headed back to my room and I avoided my stand in guard.

We both flopped down on the couches in my room. My anxiety was kicking back up.

"My love I'm sorry it's been so long." She frowned and I shook my head.

"It's okay. You're here now." I smiled at her and wiped the tears from the corner of my eyes that threatened to spill over. I repeatedly had to stop myself from crying right now. My emotions were from one extreme to the next.

She laughed quietly and she bowed her head.

"Such a generous future Queen" she teased me and I rolled my eyes.

"Yeah, thank Alyce for that" I grumbled and she sighed.

"I had to be caught up on all of that mess. You'll do amazingly though. You are your mothers daughter" Her smile reminded me of my childhood. I spent so many happy years being watched over by her and mom.

"I know she's ecstatic you've found a good guard that you've connected with. Your dad filled me in on your little rebellious phase." She laughed boisterously now and I couldn't help but giggle too. She had a contagious laugh.

"Oh it's not a phase, mark my words" I snickered and she shook her head.

"I expect nothing less. I heard on my first day back that he seems to be going through a phase himself." She wiggled her eyebrows and I scoffed.

"You mean this whole trial thing? Yeah it's complete idiocy." I grumbled, crossing my arms.

"Yeah so I've heard. Your dad doesn't agree with it either. He's saving face. We talked in great lengths about the dangers you've faced and how this boy saved you each time." She frowned now and shook her head.

"It's the male ego, Daya. It's very seldom you have a young guard. Nothing will come of this trial though, believe that. They just want to remind him of his place is all." She waved her hand dismissively. His place ... his place beneath all of us.

"He's become my best friend" I whispered quietly, wringing my hands together nervously.

"It'll be fine, Daya. Don't worry. If he can handle everything that's come so far, he can handle this too." She reassured me and I sighed. The stand in knocked at the door and I groaned.

"The trial is beginning, it you still want to attend Princess." He bowed his head to me. He was so monotoned. I let him lead me to the trial room. I had never been in there. I don't even know how often it's used. This was one part of ruling I hadn't been exposed to yet.

He led me to the officials staircase, stopping at the bottom. I guess he wouldn't be joining.

I made my way across the balcony, peering around at the different leaders that were in the room. The trial room was 2 levels. The ones holding the trial sat on the balcony, a full circle that viewed down below where the defendant was. Salem was not brought in yet. I tried to think of the names for all of these people. There was my dad, King Xavier of the Ramora kingdom, King James of the Westard kingdom and 4 others I didn't recognize. My hands trembled. A whole damn trial. It was unbelievable.

I stared in confusion now. Why was it all leaders? Where was the jury? I knew the king was the judge. Where was the citizens though?

I nervously took a place in the less occupied side of the room. I had a perfect view of the leaders in their seats. Alex was standing sheepishly next to his dad. I glared at him fiercely when his eyes met mine. He looked terrified.

The slap of the gavel made me jump, dads voice echoed through the room.

"Alright. Let's begin."