Chapter Fifty-Five

Gift

I rushed from the infirmary with healing ointments and pain killers. I had told the nurse not to speak a word of me being there. Once at Salems door I tried the handle.. it was unlocked.

I stopped abruptly, eyes meeting another guards. He was kneeling next to Salem on the ground in the bathroom.

"Princess I-" he started and stopped. He looked down at Salem sadly and sighed.

"What are you doing" I demanded, shutting the door behind me.

"I wanted to help him" he whispered, turning and bowing his head to me. He was older, I recognized him but his name didn't come to mind.

He rose his head and looked at the supplies in my hands.

"He didn't deserve all of that" he spoke quietly and I nodded.

"I know. I brought some things to help from the infirmary. I can take it from here, thank you" I rushed my words out and he nodded, standing and bowing again. I locked the door behind him and grimaced at Salems appearance. There was a small pool of blood under him. His face was covered in now dry blood, his back was atrocious.

"Salem" I spoke gently and my voice shook. He seemed lifeless. His eyes were shut tight and he was curled up in the fetal position. His body trembled. I bit my lip to hold back my cries. Now wasn't the time. I grabbed a wash cloth and got it wet, crouching down next to him. I gently began wiping at his face. This was a start. He let out a groan, flinching at my touch.

"No more I'm sorry" his voice croaked.

"It's me. It's Daya. I'm going to clean you up" I whispered shakily. This rag was already completely red. I started a bath. I didn't know what temperature would be best.. given the wounds I knew hot was a terrible idea. I kept it luke warm. I wouldn't be able to lift him myself. I grabbed his arm, pulling gently.

"Up" I muttered quietly, turning his head so he would look at me.

My heart broke. His eyes reminded me of his file picture. Tears gathered in my eyes.

"Get up, please." I whispered shakily, lowering myself and putting his arm over my shoulder. I tried my best to help him up. His clothes practically had to be peeled off because of the blood that was soaked through had dried. He winced in pain as it pulled at the wounds.

"I'm sorry" I spoke gently. My face still heat up once he was naked. Now was not the time, Daya.

I helped him step in slowly, he hissed in pain. His wrists hadn't healed yet they were still twisted in an ugly way. He stared blankly down at the water, still tense. I hesitated and stood up. I needed help. I didn't know how to help him mentally. Panic slowly set in the longer I stared at him. So emotionless and dead looking.. I needed help! I turned around and jump, gasping. That woman I saw earlier was standing in the doorway, big tears rolled down her cheeks silently. A chill went over my body and I quickly looked back at Salem. He didn't seem to even notice. She was staring at Salem sadly, it seemed like she was looking straight through me.

"Who are you" I blurt out. She turned her head and looked back.

"You! Who are you!" I shouted now, clenching my fists. She slowly looked over at me eyebrows furrowed together in confusion. When our eyes met she gasped.

"Me?" She whispered and I nodded.

"You see me?" She continued and I stiffened.

"Yes" I whispered back and her eyes widened.

"Your gift" her hand went to her mouth and I shut my eyes tight. When I opened them she would be gone. These were stress hallucinations. I counted down, breathing slowly. To my dismay, she was still standing there.