Chapter Twenty-Seven

Day Four

*****Salems POV*****

I walked down the hallway slowly, hearing something in Dayanara's office. I slowed my pace as I approached the open door. Victoria was in there. The closer I got I realized the sound was sniffling.

I leaned against the doorframe and she looked up at me, smiling with sadness in her bleary eyes.

She glanced at the empty cup in my hand and frowned.

"She still hasn't come out huh?" She whispered, fixing her eyes back on the paperwork.

"Nope." I muttered quietly and looked around. She fixed everything well enough. It'd been 4 days since Dayanara locked herself in her room. I was the only one that went in and out, bringing her food and blood when she needed it. She hadn't spoken much, only at night.

She'd settle in for bed and I'd hear the faint whisper of my name, telling me to join her. It made her sleep soundly and that was fine with me. I don't even know if she was consciously saying my name, I always made sure to get up before her in case she just wasn't aware. I'd be lying if I said that sleeping next to her didn't comfort me as well.

"You look terrible." The blonde before me spoke playfully and I smirked at her.

"You should really take time for yourself. All you do is sit in that room. Have you even slept? Showered? When are you eating?" I had her full attention now as she grilled me and I shrugged.

"I eat some whenever I pick food up for her. I haven't exactly slept yet...I shower a few hours into her falling asleep." I shrugged again and she sighed, rubbing her eyes.

"Maybe if you don't bring her food it'll force her to come out?" She held a hand up like I hadn't already considered this.

"As stubborn as that girl is we both know she'd sooner starve herself before she admits she needs to come out of that room." She nodded along with this and I turned to leave, pausing.

"How long was she like this after the queen died?" I whispered quietly and she frowned.

"It took 3 weeks." She whispered back and I nodded, making my exit.

I paused before entering her room again, James was approaching. My eyes narrowed and I sighed, looking towards him.

"You must not have heard me the first time I suggested that you leave?" I faked innocence and he rolled his eyes.

"Please, in this crisis I will be there for my future wife." He reached for the doorknob and I stepped back. He would have to learn the hard way and I was going to enjoy every second of it.

I glared at the back of his head as he entered the room. His future wife? She was far from it.

"Daya, good morning!" He spoke cheerfully and I leaned against the wall, ready to watch this shit show.

He pulled her blankets back and sat on the edge of the bed. Go on james..poke the bear.

"Get out!" She suddenly shrieked, sitting up and glaring at him fiercely. She might break a tooth if she clenches her jaw any tighter.