Chapter Seventy-Seven

Betrothed

I sat down on my bed with a huff. My heart had been hammering in my chest all day. I looked at my shaky hand. The ring that sat on my left ring finger...

"Not quite what I would've picked for you." Salems voice brought me back to reality. I sighed heavily. It was a pretty ring. I didn't even think about a ring.

"And what would you have picked?" I teased, raising an eyebrow.  The ring was rose gold, one large diamond sat front and center surrounded by tiny ones halfway around the band.

"Something with a silver band and a black stone." He glanced at the ring and I smiled. He was right, that is my taste. My heart ached suddenly and tears welled up in my eyes. Salem walked over and stood in front of me. He grabbed my chin lightly and made me look at him.

"Why are you crying?" He spoke gently as I wiped away at my eyes.

"I don't want to marry him" I whispered while choking back my tears. The idea of marrying somebody who doesn't want a romantic relationship with me is such a blessing.. but still the thought of marrying someone that isn't Salem just kills me.

"I hate that you're in the position you're in! I hate that I can't just pick YOU!" I shouted angrily now and he took a step back.

I racked my brain thinking of all of the things Alesia said. She never mentioned Salem becoming King, yet I would have his children? Would they just be passed off as Alex's? How could I have Salems children and let another man think they're his!? Anxiety filled me and I started to panic.

"Daya, please, breathe" Salem grabbed my face suddenly and made me look at him.

"How can we live the rest of our lives together in the dark?" I choked out and he frowned.

"It's not going to be easy. We should really be grateful for Alex's predicament as well. Maybe talk to him too, he understands after all." He spoke reassuringly and I nodded. I should be happy we even lucked out like this.

I fixed my appearance and we headed to the dining room for dinner. One of the other guards approached us and bowed, saying dad was summoning Salem. This guard stayed with me as I continued on toward the dining room. I let out a small sigh. I wonder what dad wanted now. He had already summoned me earlier to congratulate me. I had texted Alyce and told her I wanted her to join us. Boo. The guard waited outside of the doors, I asked for privacy after promising we weren't scheming to run off again.

"Congratulations" Alyce grumbled and I raised an eyebrow at her as we sat down.

"What's with the mood?" She rolled her eyes and sighed.

"I'm just irritated for you. It should've been Salem putting that ring on your finger." She grumbled now and I smiled. It made me happy she was rooting for us too.

"I know, but things are going to be good. What all did you see with Alex?" I leaned forward for secrecy and she wiggled her eyebrows.

"Oh boy what didn't I see is the better question. His mate is a very shy girl. Very pretty, modest. They're so in love it's admirable and disgusting all at once. I even saw him telling her about you and his plan. As far as the Salem stuff, he hasn't reported anything since before the ball. He's at least a man of his word." She was satisfied and so was I. I felt even more relaxed now.

"Speaking of Salem where is he?" She glanced around the room as I picked up a glass of blood.

"Dad summoned him" I muttered between sips. Her eyebrows went together in confusion.

"Again? He just did yesterday." She sounded as confused as I was. We both shrugged it off and ate in silence.

Once we finished we said goodnight and went off to our rooms. Salem still wasn't back. I turned back around and headed towards dad's office with my stand in trailing me.

"Daya" he greeted me with a smile when I entered. No Salem.

"Did you dismiss Salem?" I asked in confusion as he stood.

"I sent him on a mission. He'll be back. I'm heading to bed." He gathered up his stuff and my eyes widened.

"What mission? And you didn't think to let me know? I should be kept in the loop if I'm to be queen" I blurt out and dad paused. He nodded in agreement and I crossed my arms angrily.

"I suppose you're right about that. Your duties will be shifting soon. I sent him to a location Dominic is rumored to have been spotted at." He spoke casually and I froze with fear. Dominic escaped that day. We hadn't heard anything until now I guess, as far as I knew. Apparently I wasn't being notified of this information either. Rage filled me suddenly.

"You sent him to look for the people that killed him!?" I hissed, shooting daggers with my eyes.

"He's more than capable Daya. He has another guard with him." He sounded so careless it only pissed me off more.

"He's not a tool dad! He's a person!" I kept from yelling but my voice did raise slightly ..

"He's a tool for your safety. That's why he's here." I had to bite my tongue. I wanted to scream at him.

"I truly don't understand you sometimes" I whispered quietly as he walked over and patted my head.

"You will some day. I'll warn you next time before I utilize him. Goodnight dear." And with that he left the room leaving me fuming.

I went back to my room quickly and grabbed my phone. No texts from Salem. I sighed. We had exchanged numbers months ago and still never had a reason to text, so I guess it was never thought of as an option when needed. I decided to text him anyways telling him to come home safely. I stared at my phone for what felt like forever waiting for a response but got nothing.

Just when we were finally returning to some kind of normalcy, he was gone.